Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases DDR3-based Phenom Processors

Phoronix: AMD Releases DDR3-based Phenom Processors

AMD this morning has announced five new Phenom II processors. What is special about these processors, however, is that they use the Socket AM3 and they support DDR3 system memory rather than the DDR2 memory type they had long been using...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Of course, with these new AM3 processors from AMD you will need a new supportive motherboard.
    Actually the new processors have both DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers so they should also work with AM2(+?) motherboards

Comment

Originally posted by tettamanti View Post
      Actually the new processors have both DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers so they should also work with AM2(+?) motherboards
      The New CPUs work with a AM2+ Board ( Maybe a BIOS Update required ).

Comment

Sadly, however, we have none of these new Phenom II processors from Linux so we are unable to tell you anything about their Linux support
        So this means you simply haven't purchased a Phenom II System, right? This is not a a statement of incompatibility of any sort, right? Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with 64-bit Ubuntu on a Phenom II system? If so, can you tell us your motherboard model?

I'm very close to buying a new mobo/CPU and am choosing between the i7 and the Phenom II black edition. Today's Tom's Hardware Guide article indicates that the Phenom II actually matches the entry level i7 on most benchmarks. I have a good liquid cooling system, so the fact that their overclocking-friendly black edition is 225 is probably enough to sell me. Of course, this would be foolish if the i7 920 outruns it at stock speeds.

The only thing that is making me still consider the i7 is the Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME motherboard with a built-in waterblock. To my knowledge, there's no AM2+ equivalent.

Comment

There are some AM3 mobos that have DDR2 slots - is this a manufacturer/bios gimmick, or an officially supported combo?

Cheap builds tend to work better in the latter case..

Comment

Originally posted by JavaGeek_Boston View Post
            So this means you simply haven't purchased a Phenom II System, right? This is not a a statement of incompatibility of any sort, right? Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with 64-bit Ubuntu on a Phenom II system? If so, can you tell us your motherboard model?

I'm very close to buying a new mobo/CPU and am choosing between the i7 and the Phenom II black edition. Today's Tom's Hardware Guide article indicates that the Phenom II actually matches the entry level i7 on most benchmarks. I have a good liquid cooling system, so the fact that their overclocking-friendly black edition is 225 is probably enough to sell me. Of course, this would be foolish if the i7 920 outruns it at stock speeds.

The only thing that is making me still consider the i7 is the Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME motherboard with a built-in waterblock. To my knowledge, there's no AM2+ equivalent.
            I am running an AM2+ Phenom II X4 940 BE without problems on a MSI DKA790GX (790GX/SB750 based) using Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04a4. There are very nice new Gigabyte motherboards for AM2+ and AM3 coming out in late february, some very highend ones too!

Comment

Working...
            X