Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this rig work well with linux?

Hi!

I just wanted to know if anyone knows whether this combination will work when assembled and whether all parts are supported by linux:

Code:
    *Corsair Powersupply 550W Bulk, black, ATX/EPS, 120mm fan, 4xSATA, SLI
    *Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, P35, Socket-775, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, ICH9, PCI-Ex16
    *Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 1333Mhz
    *Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5, Kit w/two matched CM2X2048-6400 Dimm
    *Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM
    *Western Digital Caviar GP 500GB SATA2, 16MB 7200RPM
    *XFX GeForce 8800GT 600M 512MB GDDR3,PCI-Express 2.0,2xDVI,8-layer,black PCB
    *Optiarc / NEC DVD-brenner AD-7191S-0B / SATA LightScribe, bulk
    I am especially worried about the mobo

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
    Thank you very much in advance

Originally posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
    Hi!

I just wanted to know if anyone knows whether this combination will work when assembled and whether all parts are supported by linux:

Code:

Using a LiveCD from Debian based distros will go a long way in helping you decide if things are being detected, I would try sidux or kanotix and then watch
    the bootup and see if any serious errors develope.
    You really should visit www.sidux.com and their IRC the users there are friendly and very knowledgable and
    will give you pointers for what ever direction you need to go and besides you will learn a lot about Linux as well. good luck.

Comment

Thank you for your reply!

Although, I haven't bought the above rig yet. I just wanted to check the compatibility with linux so I am sure to buy something that actually works

Comment

I am planning to buy the same motherboard, graphic card, and CPU in 3 weeks. When you put it all together, it would be great if you could post your results here. I will try to do the same once I buy mine. From what I have read, there should be no problems.

Comment

I'm running Ubuntu on a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R with an Intel E6600 and the same Corsair TwinX memory and the combination loves Linux. No issues at all. You're going to have more trouble getting the nVidia Linux drivers for the video card installed than you will with the motherboard itself.

Comment

I just got the rig, assembled it and tested it with Ubuntu (since it has the best HW-detection out of the box).

I just made a couple of adjustments: Instead of Seagate I got a 500GB WD (7200 rpm) and baught a Samsung DVD-burner.

Everything works and is *amazingly* fast and responsive.

The nvidia 8800GT card was nothing the latest driver couldn't fix (although it is still listed as "unknown device" in lspci). glxgears gives me ~21000 fps at default window size.

Compiz is fast most of the time, unless you stress the system - then the animation gets a bit choppy.

Harddisks work fine. Setting AHCI-mode in BIOS was not necessary for the HDDs to work. I have not tested IDE though. Compiling is now unbelievably fast on the Raptor with 10k rpm.

Sound works fine too.

So, thanks for the help everyone

Comment

As promised, here are my results. I hope this will be helpful for those who are thinking of buying similar hardware.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 CPU
              Gigabyte EP35-DS3L Motherboard
              4GB DDR2 RAM, 800mhz
              e-VGA Nvidia 8800GT 512mb

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit with no problems. When I first logged in it promoted me to install the restricted driver for the graphic card. It installed without any problems.

I have a dual monitor setup and had to edit my xorg.conf file to enable Twinview. Other than that, no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
                Hi!

Code:

No worries dude. Linux will support this config.

Comment

question:
                  why did you choose the ds3l model of the motherboard instead of ds4?

Comment

Well ICH9 is cheaper than ICH9R. Fake raid and 2 sata ports more has ICH9R. I would not say that DS4 is the sister board but it is DS3R (ICH9R). DS4 has one pci-e slot more and one pci slot less. When you want to use 2 ATI cards with crossfire and Win you can use it, otherwise the 2nd PCI-E slot is useless - PCI cards are more often needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X