Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Beignet OpenCL Has Uncertain Future

Phoronix: Intel's Beignet OpenCL Has Uncertain Future

Last week I wrote about Beignet as Intel's OpenCL Linux implementation for "Ivy Bridge" hardware. While the code was recently open-sourced, the future direction of this project is unknown...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile one can use a Nvidia graphics card.

Comment

As Intel starts losing revenues due to the decline of PC's and devices that require $200 chips, I expect Intel to increasingly cut back on "open source projects" or any projects that provide them any immediate revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
        As Intel starts losing revenues due to the decline of PC's and devices that require $200 chips, I expect Intel to increasingly cut back on "open source projects" or any projects that provide them any immediate revenue.
        The developer who created Beignet mentioned in another thread that he did so as a spare time project whilst working at intel, he wasn't part of their Open Source Technology Centre. So I think it's accurate to say that this wasn't an official intel project, hence not subject to what they want to spend money on.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
          The developer who created Beignet mentioned in another thread that he did so as a spare time project whilst working at intel, he wasn't part of their Open Source Technology Centre. So I think it's accurate to say that this wasn't an official intel project, hence not subject to what they want to spend money on.
          I wonder what their official OpenCL Linux strategy actually is...

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            I wonder what their official OpenCL Linux strategy actually is...
            From what is out there, they seem to be focusing all of their OpenCL development resources on the MIC architecture and it's add-in cards, because that's where the money will be for them in the near future. Once that is up and running, they will probably give us something for the CPUs using what came from the MIC work, since both are x86. Apple is also doing extensive OpenCL work - as OpenCL is part of their open standards ecosystem for OS and iOS - that will be ported to Linux.

Comment

Working...
            X