Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVI video card connected to DisplayPort monitor - possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVI video card connected to DisplayPort monitor - possible?

Hi,

I would like to connect 3 PCs to the same monitor, with as many direct digital connections as possible. However, none of the PCs has a DisplayPort output and it looks like I might have to use a monitor with only VGA/DVI/DP inputs.

Is it possible to convert a DVI output into a DP signal, please? All of the dongles I've seen so far seem to convert DP outputs to DVI instead.

Cheers,
    Chris

Probably not, the signals are not compatible. AFAIK the existing DP->DVI converters rely on the GPU to tunnel a DVI signal over the DP link. The DP standard does not consider the other way.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but what's wrong with a simple DVI switch box (or possibly a whole KVM switch)?

Comment

I'm looking for a "convenient" solution.

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but what's wrong with a simple DVI switch box (or possibly a whole KVM switch)?
      In a word - "space": A DVI switch box would mean one more cable to tie myself into knots with. Also, would a DVI switch box still allow a PC to read a monitor's EDID information?

The last time I looked, digital KVMs were expensive too.

Comment

a simple mechanical DVI switch box is akin to yanking out one cable and inserting another, just with less manual work for the user.
        It will pass through anything, including EDID information. You have to make sure the monitor is "connected" to each machine at boot time though. Very cheap, a bit cludgy, but works.

A digital DVI switch will aquire the EDID from the monitor and emulate an equal monitor to each connected computer. The drawback is that they're more expensive and the monitor has to be powered on first, to give the switch a chance to aquire the EDID. I've googled a bit and found 2x switches for ~$30 and 4x for ~$60.

Full-blown KVM switches are even more expensive, but if you're about to share keyboard/mouse as well, they're absolutely the way to go. Some allow you to switch between computers with simple hotkey-combinations - not having to reach out for the monitor or KVM switch really makes it all a lot more comfortable (and you'll also be able to hide the KVM switch under your desk). I've had one for a while and never regretted anything, despite paying a lot back then. Not sure about current KVM prices though, but as usual they vary a lot - a little bit of hunting for the right model might save you a lot of money.
        Last edited by rohcQaH; 06 December 2009, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X