Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RadeonHD 4350 Supported/Working in Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonHD 4350 Supported/Working in Linux?

I can't find a definitive answer to this anywhere.

I am running openSUSE 11.0 x64 and the ATI Repository drivers have resulted in a miserable crash. I tried building the Catalyst 8.11 drivers with the auto-installation and had no luck with that, either. Furthermore, I have no acceleration whatsoever with the RadeonHD drivers because the card is RV710-based.

I noticed that my Windows Vista drivers are some sort of 8.10 hotfix. Is this card too new?

Is there any way to use this card with linux?

The 4350 is definitely very new (we even had trouble buying them for our open source developers) and support only got added very recently to all the drivers, so I guess there's a chance it missed the 8.11 release. I doubt it though, since we generally release support for Windows and Linux simultaneously these days, so chances are that it is supported but you're just having some kind of install-related problem. I'll see what I can find out.

What does your xorg log say ? Can you pastebin it and post a link ?

EDIT - looks like there are a number of different RV710 configurations and support was added at different times for each of them, but most of the configs should be supported in 8.11. Probably the best way to find out for sure is to look in the xorg log - if you can pastebin it that is probably the best next step.
    Last edited by bridgman; 30 November 2008, 05:20 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

looks like there are a number of different RV710 configurations and support was added at different times for each of them, but most of the configs should be supported in 8.11. Probably the best way to find out for sure is to look in the xorg log - if you can pastebin it that is probably the best next step.
      So, if I buy a 4350 can I expect its config to be supported in the next release if it isn't already?
      Can I expect it to have the same feature support as 3xxx cards? e.g. in particular - textured video support.

I've been trying to establish for a while what difference (if any) there is in support between 3450 and 4350, but I never seem to get any concrete information. I'm not surprised if most users of this forum don't know such specific information, but I'd hope that ATI devs could tell me...

Comment

Yes and no - my suspicion is that it is already supported but there is some other problem with your installation, in which case next month's release won't make any difference. I'll try to dig up the official story.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          The 4350 is definitely very new (we even had trouble buying them for our open source developers) and support only got added very recently to all the drivers, so I guess there's a chance it missed the 8.11 release. I doubt it though, since we generally release support for Windows and Linux simultaneously these days, so chances are that it is supported but you're just having some kind of install-related problem. I'll see what I can find out.

What does your xorg log say ? Can you pastebin it and post a link ?

EDIT - looks like there are a number of different RV710 configurations and support was added at different times for each of them, but most of the configs should be supported in 8.11. Probably the best way to find out for sure is to look in the xorg log - if you can pastebin it that is probably the best next step.
          Alright, here's the procedure from start to finish:

1) Install openSUSE 11.0 x64 with a Gnome Live CD
          2) added Main Repository OSS and NON-OSS, Updates, and Packman (shouldn't make a difference, right?)
          3) Updated system using YaST
          4) Downloaded the Catalyst 8.11 driver
          5) ran the installer:
          --- I attempted to generate an openSUSE 11.0 package, but it just silently failed, but reported success.

LOG:
          Code:
          /tmp/ati.hTchdD
          Package build failed!
          [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SUSE110-AMD64
          --- I then used the automatic install feature. It finished and reported success.
          6) I ran 'aticonfig --initial'
          7) When I rebooted my machine, X crashed with the following output:

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Let me know if you need anymore information.

Comment

I have had confirmation from AMD/ATI support that Catalyst 8.11 proprietory linux drivers do not support HD4350 based cards.

The recommendation is 'wait for subsequent release', no date mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by peterm99 View Post
              I have had confirmation from AMD/ATI support that Catalyst 8.11 proprietory linux drivers do not support HD4350 based cards.

The recommendation is 'wait for subsequent release', no date mentioned.
              Hmmmm, I have got a 4350 working with 8.11.
              Xorg.0.log

(II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
              compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 8.55.2
              (--) fglrx(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon HD 4350" (Chipset = 0x954f)
              (--) fglrx(0): (PciSubVendor = 0x1462, PciSubDevice = 0x1611)
              (--) fglrx(0): board vendor info: third party graphics adapter - NOT original ATI
              (II) fglrx(0): UVD2 feature is available
              !!!!!!!!!!!!!

greetings
              N.B. I didn't have time to test it more then KDE screen

Comment

Working...
              X