Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME & KDE Developers Go To Battle Over A Name

Phoronix: GNOME & KDE Developers Go To Battle Over A Name

Ahead of the Berlin Desktop Summit, several GNOME and KDE developers have begun a mailing list battle...over a name. In particular, that with GNOME 3.0 their control panel areas is called "System Settings", which is precisely what the KDE developers call their system control area too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

MY PROPOSAL: make an universal tool for configure system.

Comment

To hell with those Gnometards. KILL 'EM ALL!

Comment

Please stop this stupid war.

Comment

Finally some fun! Who's taking bets?
          10$ KDE wins!

Comment

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
            MY PROPOSAL: make an universal tool for configure system.
            It exists and it's called YaST but that doesn't change the fact that GNOME used a name that was already taken. KDE?s System Settings exists since years and I don't even get what was wrong with the old Control Center name.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              It exists and it's called YaST but that doesn't change the fact that GNOME used a name that was already taken. KDE?s System Settings exists since years and I don't even get what was wrong with the old Control Center name.
              Not really. YaST is for systemwide administration not for desktop specific settings.

Comment

My proposal as posted on the list:

Just a small suggestion on how i think this should be "fixed" (since 2
                desktop files for one app seems just ugly to me).
                Perhaps it's better to extend the desktop file specification:

And i would propose adding 2 entries:
                NativeDE - This one holds the desktop environment name where the app
                would be "native". So GNOME, KDE or whatever.
                NameNonNative - This one holds the app name when it's shown in a
                desktop environment that is not native. When not set fallback to
                "Name"

So for example the "System Settings" app in KDE looks somewhat like
                this in a .desktop file:

Name=System Settings
                NativeDE=KDE
                NameNonNative=KDE System Settings

The same applies for gnome system settings and also for the system
                monitor (that also has the naming issue)
                Isn't this a good solution?

Regards,
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Not really. YaST is for systemwide administration not for desktop specific settings.
                  Well, "System Settings" suggests system wide administration. IMO, both KDE and Gnome chose a poor name. It should be "Desktop Environment Settings".

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Well, "System Settings" suggests system wide administration. IMO, both KDE and Gnome chose a poor name. It should be "Desktop Environment Settings".
                    Exactly my opinion.
                    +1

Comment

Working...
                    X