Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual screen / Ati 10.10 and 10.11: garbled mouse cursor on secondary screen

Has anyone else noticed this?

After the update to 10.10 on Gentoo (also in 10.11), the mouse cursor in the secondary screen on my dual head system (separate desktops, no xinerama) becomes garbled in certain situations:
    - In wine programs
    - Renoise
    - All programs which use their own cursor instead of the system one

The mouse cursor is fine on the primary screen. Ati-drivers up to and including 10.8 were fine, too. (I had to skip 10.9 because of the hideous vt switching bug).

I haven't seen this bug since I started using ATI drivers (8.* >), but it may be an old bug which has resurfaced: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=273213

Because there doesn't seem to be any programs capable of taking screenshots with mouse cursors visible, I had to do a dumb-blonde-style screenshot with my digital camera, please see here: http://steam.punk.dy.fi/ati-10.10.png
    It's an Enigma simulator running with wine. The white garbled square should be the normal Windows-style cursor.

Are you sure this issue is related to ATI drivers? There was a major xorg server update from 1.8 to 1.9. It could introduce this problem. I do also have dual screen configuration on dualheaded video card. You mentioned cursor garbles in certain situations, but I always get corrupted mouse cursor on second screen. There are number of problems related to separate X screens in xorg server so I thought it could be the one of them.

Comment

Damn! You are right!!! It was xorg-server-1.9.x which was the 'bad guy' here; it didn't occur to me to test this, although I upgraded them both at the same time... Now I downgraded to xorg-server-1.8.2 while still using ati-drivers-10.11 (quite easy on Gentoo), and the mouse cursor corruption is gone .Thanks for pointing that out!

While testing I noticed that on xorg-server-1.9, if I used the default xorg cursor instead of my usual custom cursor, the cursor was corrupted all the time on the secondary screen.

Now, if I could just figure out where should I report THIS bug so it gets noticed...

Comment

The right place to file such bugs is /https://bugs.freedesktop.org/.

If you can you may post this bug there but I am not sure which component causes problem. It is better to figure it out with some experienced guy.

Comment

I had the same problem. What helped was adding
          Option "SWCursor" "true"
          in both graphic card device sections.
          There are still minor glitches in Blender, but other apps seem fine.

Comment

Originally posted by faceless View Post
            I had the same problem. What helped was adding
            Option "SWCursor" "true"
            in both graphic card device sections.
            There are still minor glitches in Blender, but other apps seem fine.
            The same applies to openchrome in (at least) PCLinuxOS 2010. HWCursor -> garbled mouse pointer on secondary display.

Comment

Garbled mouse

I have been tearing my hair out

I have two monitors with xinerama ati HD4850
              and both VMware and Virtual box would display a garbled cursor on one or the other monitor

After installing new ATI drivers and using Open source driver the problem would still manifest it self

Luckly I found this post and was able to resolve the issue by editing the xorg.conf
              and adding

Section "Device"
              Identifier "amdcccle-Device[5]-0"
              Driver "fglrx"
              Option "Monitor-DFP2" "0-DFP2"
              Option "SWCursor" "true"
              BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
              EndSection

Section "Device"
              Identifier "amdcccle-Device[5]-1"
              Driver "fglrx"
              Option "Monitor-DFP1" "0-DFP1"