Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon HD 5750/5770

Phoronix: AMD Radeon HD 5750/5770

In late September AMD had introduced the Radeon HD 5850 and Radeon HD 5870 graphics cards as the successors to the Radeon HD 4850 and Radeon HD 4870, respectively. These graphics cards, which are part of the Evergreen GPU family, have been performing quite nicely according to reports, but we have yet to test either of these Cypress graphics cards under Linux. Today though AMD is introducing the first midrange graphics cards in the Evergreen family. Under the Juniper codename, the Radeon HD 5750 and HD 5770 are being launched with both graphics cards being quite similar except for the ATI Radeon HD 5770 shipping with slightly higher core and memory clocks along with a different heatsink. In this review we have the first Linux-based benchmarks of these two new graphics cards, which are also the first publicized Linux benchmarks from any AMD Evergreen graphics processor.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The fan on this heatsink is moderately sized, but during our testing we found it to operate quietly.
    The fan on the 5750 looks really nice. Remember, bigger fans can spin at a lower RPM, but move still move more air than smaller fans (as those of us who owned nFurnace4 boards before the advent of heatpipes can attest to).

Comment

Rapid-Fire Launching!

Wow. The 5800 series was released, what -- three weeks ago? And now the 5700 series is being launched? Impressive. Does this mean we'll have 5600 series cards launching by early November?

Of course, I'm still waiting for RadeonHD 2000/3000/4000 series GPUs to have proper OpenGL support via Mesa. Arch Linux should have the 2.6.32 kernel -- and OpenGL -- by late December. We hope.

Comment

The claimed idle power consumption looks really good, I wonder if this also holds true in Linux... Also it would be nice if you benchmark some games running under wine (e.g. Half-Life 2) in a normal resolution, I don't think many people have a 2560x1600 display...

Comment

Will these guys be able to use the r600/r700 mesa drivers, or will drivers need to be written from scratch to support them?

Comment

Originally posted by iseggev View Post
            Will these guys be able to use the r600/r700 mesa drivers, or will drivers need to be written from scratch to support them?
            We'll be adding support to the r600 mesa driver.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              We'll be adding support to the r600 mesa driver.
              This is just COOL!

Comment

opengl 3 version string ?

hmm ... can you include opengl 3 version string also ? I always miss that from any ATI/Nvidia driver or card review and have to go hunting for it.

anyway these look nice ... maybe as prices go down a 5770 will fit into my build instead of the current GTS 250.

Comment

Too bad I bought a Radeon HD 4890 card a bit longer than a month ago

Comment

Does anybody have any idea whether or not the FOSS radeon drivers support the 3-head display feature? I am aware that dualscreen is working nicely nowadays, but I don't want to extrapolate from that. And if the drivers don't support that feature, in what timeframe might it be able to do so?

Comment

Working...
                    X