Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mono Project Continues Making Progress

Phoronix: Mono Project Continues Making Progress

The controversial Mono project for implementing various Microsoft frameworks as open-source on Linux and other operating systems, continues to gain new features and support. Miguel de Icaza has delivered an update on some of the recent Mono work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
      *Hands a cookie for appropriate meme usage*
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

(from the POV of someone who developed with .NET for half a decade)
        Not surprised considering they're being funded by microsoft to make a bad java clone for non-windows platforms just so microsoft can claim it's "multiplatform"
        I can safely say mono is a piece of garbage, and "write once run anywhere" will NEVER apply, you will have so many issues trying to port a .NET app to mono(entire features flat out not implemented, buggy frameworks, many libraries that are .NET only, etc)

Miguel has no clod in the linux community anymore after all the stunts he's done, nobody really cares about mono at all -- actually, I take that back, MANY linux users flat out refuse to use mono.
        It's becoming even less relevant as microsoft is (slowly) killing off .NET because they realize the mistake it was instead of just rewriting their *awful* native API.

I'm not sure who mono appeals to, but if you decide you want to use C#/mono maybe reconsider and give D a look instead... or just use regular Java instead of Microsoft's offbrand Java.
        Last edited by peppercats; 20 August 2013, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          Not surprised considering they're being funded by microsoft to make a bad java clone for non-windows platforms just so microsoft can claim it's "multiplatform"
          I can safely say mono is a piece of garbage, and "write once run anywhere" will NEVER apply, you will have so many issues trying to port a .NET app to mono(entire features flat out not implemented, buggy frameworks, many libraries that are .NET only, etc).
          Just out of curiosity, did you ever try out EmguCV? Oh boy, I had such a fun with it on Linux/Mono.

Comment

It is incredible how successful Mono was able to become. They have produced an incredible framework for application development. There is an increase it its adoption by companies of various sizes. Mono has a bright future and may even become the de facto implementation of .NET as Microsoft seems to pay more attention to its Windows RT framework these days (See little innovation/improvements in the last release).

It has provided a way out for users of frameworks that are all but abandoned by Microsoft (XNA).
            It is available and seeing increased adoption on all major platforms (despite the steep cost on some platforms). The tools (both existing and in development) are quite useful.

The playscript implementation will be a big deal in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              I can safely say mono is a piece of garbage, and "write once run anywhere" will NEVER apply, you will have so many issues trying to port a .NET app to mono(entire features flat out not implemented, buggy frameworks, many libraries that are .NET only, etc)
              If you actually looked into Mono you would see that what they promote and advertise is code sharing among platforms rather than "write once run everywhere".

Miguel has no clod in the linux community anymore after all the stunts he's done, nobody really cares about mono at all -- actually, I take that back, MANY linux users flat out refuse to use mono.
              Many people car about Mono. Mono is successful in spite of a certain faction of Linux users that refuse to use it. That is all political rather than practical. They can use the failure that is DotGNU that was produced by the FSF is that is their cup of tea.

It's becoming even less relevant as microsoft is (slowly) killing off .NET because they realize the mistake it was instead of just rewriting their *awful* native API.
              It is becoming even more relevant now that Microsoft is placing less emphasis on .NET. There are many .NET programmers (The .NET developer community is huge) out there that would eventually adopt Mono if Microsoft were to drop the ball with .NET.

I'm not sure who mono appeals to, but if you decide you want to use C#/mono maybe reconsider and give D a look instead... or just use regular Java instead of Microsoft's offbrand Java.
              D is interesting but it is lacking (libraries, frameworks, documentation) right now. I hope it will become widely adopted one day but history doesn't favour that happening.

Java: pfft!!!

Of course, after dismissing what I just wrote on non-technical grounds, you will try to make a case against Mono despite empirical evidence against your OPINIONS.

Regards!

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                If you actually looked into Mono you would see that what they promote and advertise is code sharing among platforms rather than "write once run everywhere".

Many people car about Mono. Mono is successful in spite of a certain faction of Linux users that refuse to use it. That is all political rather than practical. They can use the failure that is DotGNU that was produced by the FSF is that is their cup of tea.

It is becoming even more relevant now that Microsoft is placing less emphasis on .NET. There are many .NET programmers (The .NET developer community is huge) out there that would eventually adopt Mono if Microsoft were to drop the ball with .NET.

D is interesting but it is lacking (libraries, frameworks, documentation) right now. I hope it will become widely adopted one day but history doesn't favour that happening.

Java: pfft!!!

Of course, after dismissing what I just wrote on non-technical grounds, you will try to make a case against Mono despite empirical evidence against your OPINIONS.

Regards!
                I'm a Linux nut and have been since 1996. I have a number of engineering degrees and am a CTO of a software company. I've hacked in all sorts of languages to reverse engineering car ECUs. I have some street cred! The company I work for is a C#/ASP.net shop with a ton of JS for mobile applications. I've deployed our stuff to Mono in the past and it worked nicely (as a test). I've spent the last year removing our ties to MS SQL Server (WIP), and hope to eventually deploy to Mono/Apache/PostgreSQL. I really hope Mono makes it!

Comment

I remember back when Java was cool and I could never figure out why C# / .NET became so popular. And to be honest... I still don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    I remember back when Java was cool and I could never figure out why C# / .NET became so popular. And to be honest... I still don't get it.
                    It's the tools man. Being pushed by Microsoft did not hurt either.

Comment

Working...
                    X