Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZRAM Might Finally Be Moved Out Of Linux Staging

Phoronix: ZRAM Might Finally Be Moved Out Of Linux Staging

The zRAM Linux kernel module that aims to increase Linux's performance by avoiding paging to disk and optimizing to use a compressed block device in RAM, may finally leave the Linux kernel staging area and be promoted to main. This code that mostly benefits users with limited amounts of system RAM has become quite mature and is becoming widely adopted, which in part is why it's trying to be promoted out of the staging area...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

juntaDados and zRam

juntaDados GNU/Linux uses zRam, BFS process Schedule and BFQ IO schedule by default. We see huge performance gains in any scenario.

Comment

ZRAM has worked very well for me for swap. I tried turning it off on a machine a few days ago in order to switch to the newer frontswap/cleancache/zcache with a recent 3.10 kernel. Unfortunately, the machine started using up memory like crazy in the middle of the night while a VM was doing a full disk backup, and I started getting the OOM killer kicking in after 14GB of swap filled up. I read there are still some issues with frontswap/cleancache/zcache and tmem getting reclaimed and went back to ZRAM. ZRAM seems very stable and has the added benefit of compressed swap pages.

Comment

We see huge performance gains in any scenario.

Comment

Name?

ZRAM? zram? zRAM? zRam?

What is the real name of this?

Comment

This is really interesting to me, because a combination of zRAM, the removal of X.org, and the sudden drop in the necessity of using proprietary or legacy drivers.. should mean that the RAM requirements of lightweight operating systems are about to drop quite suddenly. If you have a machine with 512MB, let's say you have to use 128MB as-is.. you then have 384MB for zRAM.. the Gentoo wiki says a 3:1 ratio is typical.. and suddenly you've got a twelve year old machine with what's effectively 1.25 GiB of RAM, 1GB of which should be free for use by applications.. that's amazing o.O When you add in the fact that you could swap some of these compressed pages to disk and use it to save on disk bandwidth... it really just redefines what's obsolete and what's not.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
              This is really interesting to me, because a combination of zRAM, the removal of X.org, and the sudden drop in the necessity of using proprietary or legacy drivers.. should mean that the RAM requirements of lightweight operating systems are about to drop quite suddenly. If you have a machine with 512MB, let's say you have to use 128MB as-is.. you then have 384MB for zRAM.. the Gentoo wiki says a 3:1 ratio is typical.. and suddenly you've got a twelve year old machine with what's effectively 1.25 GiB of RAM, 1GB of which should be free for use by applications.. that's amazing o.O When you add in the fact that you could swap some of these compressed pages to disk and use it to save on disk bandwidth... it really just redefines what's obsolete and what's not.
              On the other hand, you need a graphics accelerated hardware.

Comment

zram.txt file, line 1:

zram: Compressed RAM based block devices

Looks like the official name is zram .

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  On the other hand, you need a graphics accelerated hardware.
                  Why?
                  -------

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    Why?
                    -------
                    Because X.org can run on any piece-of-shit old legacy 1980s video card with 2 MB video memory that can output colors on screen with a VESA framebuffer on a simplistic device driver.

But with Wayland you need a relatively modern graphics card that supports OpenGL and a device driver with support for KMS and hardware acceleration.

Comment

Working...
                    X