Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pixman 0.30 Release Has Major Back-End Work

Phoronix: Pixman 0.30 Release Has Major Back-End Work

A major release of the Pixman rendering library happened on Wednesday. Pixman 0.30 now has some major back-end improvements and other changes to better the pixel manipulation software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Pixman 0.30 Release Has Major Back-End Work

A major release of the Pixman rendering library happened on Wednesday. Pixman 0.30 now has some major back-end improvements and other changes to better the pixel manipulation software...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2ODg
    The SIMD improvements are real nice. Not being conversant with image algorithms, are there any advantages to be found beyond SSE2, or is the tradeoff of disallowing older hardware too much?
    I would expect the superwide AVX instructions to be really useful, even if they don't include any more useful instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      The SIMD improvements are real nice. Not being conversant with image algorithms, are there any advantages to be found beyond SSE2, or is the tradeoff of disallowing older hardware too much?
      I would expect the superwide AVX instructions to be really useful, even if they don't include any more useful instructions.
      as far as i know, AVX2 should have suitable integer instructions (and bitwise things for whatever is done to pictures)
      AVX is mostly floating point things

pixman works on non-sse cpu's meaning theres a mechanism or another for compatibility
      Last edited by gens; 12 May 2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X