Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFC: colored PTS graph output

Hello all,

I'm an eager reader of PTS result reports here on phoronix, but there's one thing that boggles my mind every time I read one with all those shiny graphs: Since there's a plethora of benchmarks that is run, and I don't remember all of them by name; I alwas have to look at the very tiny remark that mentions something like "higher is better" or "frames per second". Only then, taking that info into account, I am able to fathom which contestant is the best in that specific test.

What I'd like to see is a more visible, visual indication for what's better and what's worse - if a higher bar means "yay that's good" in this specific test of the benchmark suite, or if it's the lower bars to strive for.

That could be done in numerous ways, I think. Possibly the most easy of all would be to just color "higher is better"-bar graphs different from "lower is better"-bar graphs. The colors in particular wouldn't matter that much, but color-blindness should be taken into account.

Maybe something like this would be appropriate:

less = better:

more = better:

What do you think? Worth considering?

Originally posted by colo View Post
    Hello all,

I'm an eager reader of PTS result reports here on phoronix, but there's one thing that boggles my mind every time I read one with all those shiny graphs: Since there's a plethora of benchmarks that is run, and I don't remember all of them by name; I alwas have to look at the very tiny remark that mentions something like "higher is better" or "frames per second". Only then, taking that info into account, I am able to fathom which contestant is the best in that specific test.

What I'd like to see is a more visible, visual indication for what's better and what's worse - if a higher bar means "yay that's good" in this specific test of the benchmark suite, or if it's the lower bars to strive for.

That could be done in numerous ways, I think. Possibly the most easy of all would be to just color "higher is better"-bar graphs different from "lower is better"-bar graphs. The colors in particular wouldn't matter that much, but color-blindness should be taken into account.

Maybe something like this would be appropriate:

less = better:

more = better:

What do you think? Worth considering?
    Actually would be better to have a separate colour for each run.

Comment

A patch to add this capability would be very simple to do, however, I am wondering if it's the right way... Perhaps it might be better to just render an arrow or something in the corner? I am not sure if I've seen other graphs change color based upon their orientation.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'd be fine with another way of indicating orientation, if it's about as visible as the suggested one, of course. Arrows sound like a reasonable solution, if implemented well.

Comment

Working...
        X