Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GNU Linux Libre 3.16 Kernel Is Christened By Freedo

Phoronix: The GNU Linux Libre 3.16 Kernel Is Christened By Freedo

The Linux 3.16 kernel was released a few days ago with some awesome features while those wishing to run this kernel in an ultra-free mode without support for closed-source firmware blobs or the ability to load non-free kernel modules, the GNU Linux-libre 3.16 release is available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Might try that if someone has a patch to revert deblobing of radeon and realtek firmwares .

Comment

That's part of the reason why it was late, and why it still doesn't have
      the “blobhush” infrastructure, that will eventually enable blobs to be
      loaded if they're installed
      , but in a way that won't induce users to
      install them.
      Ah, does that "blobhush" means they planed to allow them to be loaded in some secret way ?

Comment

Trisquel and Parabola also use this kernel, but Debian doesn't, they use their own de-blobbing script.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Might try that if someone has a patch to revert deblobing of radeon and realtek firmwares .
        It makes zero sense. Users of AMD graphics cards aren't targeted by this at all, until AMD releases their firmware as free software. You could however install Debian and the firmware individually, but remember that unused firmware is never loaded by default.

Comment

I know about Debian, i use it . I might try freedo for the fun. Difference is only because Debian kernels does not install those by default, but allow them to be loaded if you wish.

If authors of freedo kernels make that blobhush infrastructure, then what will be difference there: maybe I inform you and I does not inform you . I actually does not said one holly word about that .

Comment

Oh boy, this is so utterly senseless and additionally it's so wrong.

Linux is about freedom, that obviously includes (if not that's the core sense) freedom of choice. If I use the normal kernel, I have the choice to use binary blobs and I have the choice to avoid them. That's freedom. If I use this kernel, it's taking away options and ability to choose. That's unfree.

So this kernel has no advantages over simply avoiding binary blobs, and additionally it screws with the paradigma of linux.

At least I have the choice to avoid this kernel, but I more tend to fight for freedom and actively boycott such approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeksorrow View Post
              Oh boy, this is so utterly senseless and additionally it's so wrong.

Linux is about freedom, that obviously includes (if not that's the core sense) freedom of choice. If I use the normal kernel, I have the choice to use binary blobs and I have the choice to avoid them. That's freedom. If I use this kernel, it's taking away options and ability to choose. That's unfree.

So this kernel has no advantages over simply avoiding binary blobs, and additionally it screws with the paradigma of linux.

At least I have the choice to avoid this kernel, but I more tend to fight for freedom and actively boycott such approaches.
              Exactly. As soon as you install this kernel, a trained GNU staff member is dispatched to your home which holds a gun to your head forbidding you from ever installing another kernel. Truly a loss of choice.

Also,

> That's freedom.

This is the FSF's definition of free software: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

So you're just arguing semantics.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                Also,

> That's freedom.

This is the FSF's definition of free software: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

So you're just arguing semantics.
                You so nailed it.

> To understand the concept, you should think of ?free? as in ?free speech,? not as in ?free beer?.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeksorrow View Post
                  Linux is about freedom,
                  Would you kindly tell me where Linus Torvalds said that? While this is true of the BSDs in that they want to provide a complete permissively licensed OS so that people can do whatever they want with it, and similarly anything done by the FSF (Although their definition of freedom is different from that of the BSDs).

Last I checked Linux didn't have a mission statement and wasn't a political or religious movement (Something Linus is explicitly against), and was instead just a hobby project that went really big by being at the right place in the right time. As a result Linux isn't about anything other than being a FOSS UNIX-Like kernel.

That said I agree with the assessment that this is pointless, if you really care that much about firmware blobs you should be using OpenBSD instead, because at least they're doing work to replace them.
                  Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 08 August 2014, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                    Exactly. As soon as you install this kernel, a trained GNU staff member is dispatched to your home which holds a gun to your head forbidding you from ever installing another kernel. Truly a loss of choice.
                    A gun ? Perhaps you meant a gnu ?

Last edited by bridgman; 08 August 2014, 02:47 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X