Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using The Nouveau Driver In Ubuntu 9.04

Phoronix: Using The Nouveau Driver In Ubuntu 9.04

As we reported in December, the Nouveau driver is available in Ubuntu 9.04. Unlike Fedora 11 where the Nouveau driver is being enabled by default on NVIDIA hardware, the Nouveau driver will be an after-installation option to Ubuntu users. In this article are the simple steps on how to enabled the Nouveau driver in Ubuntu and what you can expect from this open-source, community-spawned graphics driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No benchmarks? nv vs nouveau vs nvidia?

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
      No benchmarks? nv vs nouveau vs nvidia?
      that's what i was hoping to see here

Comment

I'd really like to see the 2D benchmarks - an area both of nvidia's drivers have had frequent severe problems in.

Comment

Usually you install binary driver as soon as possible, but for U 9.04 some old gpus could not use it, therefore it would be interesting to see what that driver is capable on that gpus.

Comment

When I installed Ubuntu 8.10, I had to add a line in xorg.conf so it would know how to handle my SLI set up.

After many install issues, by far the worst installer I've ever encountered in linux, and driver issues, Ubuntu 9.04 is a no go for me. 9.04 found the proprietary drivers and let me install them, but on restart it had the exact same error as when I installed 8.10. Unfortunately the line I fixed in xorg.conf didn't work this time around.

I'm a dreamer, I dream of a time when I can game on my linux distro. Right now I just game with UT2k4 or Quake Wars but that 3D support is imperative. Guess it's back to 8.10. If these distro developers aren't careful, they could alienate what gamers who do use Linux or would like to switch to from Windows (me). I personally think everyday programs like games is what keeps Linux desktop from becoming mainstream. Why limit that by using drivers that don't work?

Comment

Working...
            X