Phoronix website design (mostly) fixed by a third-party plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix website design (mostly) fixed by a third-party plugin

Here is a Chrome browser plugin that mostly reverts the phoronix design back to the original one.

It's mainly CSS from the original theme, made to work with the new one, and a few lines of javascript is used where needed. This is probably technically far from perfect, but I was obviously really pissed off when making this, have no previous experience on browser plugins and had to work something quick. So here it is, comments/feedback/contributions are certainly welcome.

When Michael calms down with his site redesigning and it goes stable I might even upload this into a chrome web store or somewhere (while I'm still hoping I won't have to.)

Download link/source: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Uk&usp=sharing

Installation: Download the .crx and add it to Chrome manually.

Screenshots:

Of course, this has drawbacks such as not being able to browse Phoronix on mobile devices at the moment (chrome extensions are not supported there). A more thorough solution will/would involve having to set up a mirror/"pirate" Phoronix website that pulls its content from the real one, but replaces the garbage theme with the sane one. Obviously I'm also very much hoping we won't have to go into that.

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
    I might even upload this into a chrome web store or somewhere (while I'm still hoping I won't have to.)...A more thorough solution will/would involve having to set up a mirror/"pirate" Phoronix website that pulls its content from the real one, but replaces the garbage theme with the sane one. Obviously I'm also very much hoping we won't have to go into that.
    Any Phoronix-specific extension in any web store or any mirror site, that changes any advertisements will be greeted by DCMA takedown notices and/or will result in obfuscated code for all users on the site.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

i think it's better to use stylish, you can do minor site adjustments to css etc, and it works with multiple sites on firefox and chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by mercutio View Post
        i think it's better to use stylish, you can do minor site adjustments to css etc, and it works with multiple sites on firefox and chrome.
        Actually, that was my initial approach, but it turned to be good for just that - minor adjustments. There seemed to be no way to just write all CSS from scratch and that's why it turned out to actually be easier to just make it in the form of a plugin.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Any Phoronix-specific extension in any web store or any mirror site, that changes any advertisements will be greeted by DCMA takedown notices and/or will result in obfuscated code for all users on the site.
        I will happily pull the whole extension down when phoronix makes the classic theme available. It would really be a shame if Phoronix decides to go on war against its readers.

I appreciate Phoronix a lot and the massive amount of work you do every day, Michael, and I wish I could support phoronix more financially, but this theme/redesign thing is just something we all could live without.

As I believe I (and many others) have said before, the new theme is a) not solving any problem, and b) is not "cool" or improving anyone's experience.

P.S. I don't know if I touched any of the ads. I've got a phoronix premium, and even if I didn't, I've still got a "non-Phoronix-specific extension" that removes all the ads.

Comment

Thank you. I use a nice big screen most of the time and the new theme has huge text and looks like it was made for an ipad. I'm so tired of compromises to things that formally worked great just to support tablet users. I don't normally use the Caps Lock, but I have to here... KEEP YOUR TINY TOUCHSCREEN CRAP OFF MY DESKTOP INTERFACE!

Comment

Here is a Chrome browser plugin that mostly reverts the phoronix design back to the original one.

It's mainly CSS from the original theme, made to work with the new one, and a few lines of javascript is used where needed. This is probably technically far from perfect, but I was obviously really pissed off when making this, have no previous experience on browser plugins and had to work something quick. So here it is, comments/feedback/contributions are certainly welcome.

When Michael calms down with his site redesigning and it goes stable I might even upload this into a chrome web store or somewhere (while I'm still hoping I won't have to.)

Of course, this has drawbacks such as not being able to browse Phoronix on mobile devices at the moment (chrome extensions are not supported there). A more thorough solution will/would involve having to set up a mirror/"pirate" Phoronix website that pulls its content from the real one, but replaces the garbage theme with the sane one. Obviously I'm also very much hoping we won't have to go into that.
            Stop your nonsense. At least have the decency to have the thread title say, "Revert to the old Phoronix Theme through this Chrome Extension!"

Comment

Finally figured out how to fix the page flickering, so the extension has now been updated. (The body element is now hidden until the DOM changes are finished)

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
              Stop your nonsense. At least have the decency to have the thread title say, "Revert to the old Phoronix Theme through this Chrome Extension!"
              Yeah, it's totally me where the nonsense has been coming from lately. Whatever.

Comment

Finally figured out how to fix the page flickering, so the extension has now been updated. (The body element is now hidden until the DOM changes are finished)

Yeah, it's totally me where the nonsense has been coming from lately. Whatever.
                The nonsense is calling the new theme garbage and the way you worded a lot of things. You can say that you don't like it and why, but at least be civil about it.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                  The nonsense is calling the new theme garbage and the way you worded a lot of things. You can say that you don't like it and why, but at least be civil about it.
                  Not being civil about is calling the new design what it really is "Shit", calling it garbage is being polite.

Comment

thank you a lot for considering me for having a good pair of eyes and non-impaired cognitive functions, I guess it's an exclusive club.

Comment

Working...
                    X