Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display port, DRM, Linux, OSS, and the future

ATI shows off native Displayport

I was reading the above article and I developed a huge curiousity, as those who have seen my posts before will have noticed. I'm not above asking(or trying) at all.

Given the direct link between displayport and DRM, how will this affect linux, linux users, proprietary *nix drivers from AMD/nVidia, and other things that I'm most likely not thinking about at the moment?

Will linux users be forced to avoid DP at all costs? Will it cause all kinds of problems down the road in our systems?

Surely someone around here's been reading about this and knows more that they'd like to share.

I dont see a problem other than the restrictions themselves. This will all be done on a hardware level most probably

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
      ATI shows off native Displayport

Given the direct link between displayport and DRM, how will this affect linux, linux users, proprietary *nix drivers from AMD/nVidia, and other things that I'm most likely not thinking about at the moment?

Will linux users be forced to avoid DP at all costs? Will it cause all kinds of problems down the road in our systems?

Surely someone around here's been reading about this and knows more that they'd like to share.
      I don't think this will affect free software user at least not if you want to read protected content as display port can be used without encryption so it becomes a dvi connector but not looking the same .

Comment

Working...
      X