Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys Reviving The WRT54G Router In 802.11AC Form

Phoronix: Linksys Reviving The WRT54G Router In 802.11AC Form

Many Phoronix readers likely recall the glory years of the open-source-friendly Linksys WRT54G router that for some is still a great device and there's still the thriving OpenWRT community. Good news out of CES today is that Linksys is letting the WRT54G live-on in the form of the 802.11ac-based WRT1900AC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Way too expensive.

Also the old Linksys was owned by Cicso.
    Nowadays it is owned by Belkin which I trust much less.

Comment

This should be about the WRT54GL? The WRT54GL is the router with Linux based firmware that can be easily used with DD/Open WRT (i use one right now with DD-WRT). Some of the G/GS variants arent that OSS friendly AFAIK.

Comment

For $300 I'd build a computer and stick a bunch of network adapters in it.

Comment

"the open-source-friendly Linksys WRT54G"? You must be joking. As mentioned above the WRT54GL was the one that made it at least a bit opensource-friendly. The required Broadcom chip driver was still closed source and using it required running a 2.4x kernel. There were reverse enigeneering efforts like brcm47xx but in the time a ran OpenWRT on the WRT54GL 2.6 based brcm47xx has never been stable enough to be usable. It was a great device per specs, but the lack of opensource-friendlyness was actually the main reason why I replaced mines with some Buffalo WZRsomething later.

On some other news page the wording in regards to OpenWRT-compatibility was "they are going to port OpenWRT to it" which sounds rather awkward, given OpenWRT uses a Linux kernel with a minimum possible amount of patches. So, does Linux now run on hat new thing out of the box, or will OpenWRT devs be required to maintain a package for some binary driver blob sh*t yet again and Linksys will just work with them to get things (resp: the mess) started?

Comment

They miss the point of the WRT54G that was taking cheap common hardware and doing nice things with it.
            For that kind of money, just glue a 802.11ac router to an arm board or something...

Comment

Many Phoronix readers likely recall the glory years of the open-source-friendly Linksys WRT54G
              Recall the glory years? *looks to the left* Yeah, my WRT54GL is running as fine as ever, thank you very much. That said, for the longest time I didn't know projects like DD-WRT existed. Then I found out they do, and now I'm running DD-WRT on it (and enjoying features like LAN computer names ? much easier to type in "ssh user@dragon" than "ssh [email protected]" and hope the IP hasn't changed since last time). And now that I do, I won't buy any routers without DD-WRT support.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                now I'm running DD-WRT on it (and enjoying features like LAN computer names – much easier to type in "ssh user@dragon" than "ssh [email protected]" and hope the IP hasn't changed since last time).
                thats why I use dns

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
                  thats why i use dns
                  :d 1234

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                    :d 1234
                    What is that supposed to mean? Maybe I should reiterate, thats why I use dns and static ips.

Comment

Working...
                    X