catalyst 11.9 is online ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catalyst 11.9 is online ?

Looks like it is, although the url has changed (i actually found it by a misstype):
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...x86.x86_64.run

Umm... yeah:
    - tested on 3.1-rc7 kernel - fglrx doesn't need a patch to work with it (just like 11.8), and radeon hd 4850;
    - i don't see rainbow bar in GNOME3 although other bad things stayed, like slow window moving or strange flickering/garbages rendered whenever i will run kde app with systray icon
    - i've also tested it on xorg-server 1.11.1 from arch's [testing] repository but it's not working with it...
    - many files inside this driver is different, but there's no new files, so it's easier for a maintainers to update

So i actually hope that this 11.9 was put there by a mistake and a better version of 11.9 will be uploaded today ;P
    If not, well... Michael you were wrong about incoming xserver 1.11.x support ;P

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    watch the history of catalyst this will never be.

the catalyst 11.10 is the one with the new xserver support. because of ubuntu 11.10
    Rly? Cuz since months phoronix is saying that there won't be xserver 1.11 (only 1.10) in ubuntu 11.10 - cuz of proprietary drivers.
    And i atcually believed phoronix in this case...

Comment

Originally posted by Vi0L0 View Post
      Rly? Cuz since months phoronix is saying that there won't be xserver 1.11 (only 1.10) in ubuntu 11.10 - cuz of proprietary drivers.
      And i atcually believed phoronix in this case...
      This is one case where I believed him all along. It gives Ubuntu the chance to screw over other distributions if the only way of running proprietary video drivers is with them.

Comment

We actually don't need to "believe" in anything, here's url:
        The Xorg X server is an X server for several architectures and operating systems, which is derived from the XFree86 4.x series of X servers. . The Xorg server supports most modern graphics hardware from most vendors, and supersedes all XFree86 X servers. . More information about X.Org can be found at: . This package is built from the X.org xserver module.

latest x-server for ubuntu 11.10 is in 1.10.4 version, and it was commited on 2011-09-19

Comment

Downgraded Fedora 16's Xorg to 1.10 packages from F15 and the drivers do work with GNOME (3.2 in this case). The new GDM with the fancy new gnome-shell based login greeter doesn't work though.

Comment

Originally posted by Massa View Post
            Downgraded Fedora 16's Xorg to 1.10 packages from F15 and the drivers do work with GNOME (3.2 in this case). The new GDM with the fancy new gnome-shell based login greeter doesn't work though.
            I forgot to mention that im using GNOME3 3.0.2 version.
            What radeon you have got? Is GNOME3 working fast for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Vi0L0 View Post
              I forgot to mention that im using GNOME3 3.0.2 version.
              What radeon you have got? Is GNOME3 working fast for you?
              I have an AMD E-350 APU (Radeon 6310). GNOME Shell is noticeably faster, and it seems gtkperf also got a nice boost compared to the open source driver (10 seconds to render everything, 17s on the open source driver). The system felt a little sluggish rendering even 2d apps before, now it's much faster.

I'll give VAAPI a try next, I'd love to not have to boot Windows to play HD videos.

Another thing I should mention is battery life seems much better with this driver as well.
              Last edited by Massa; 28 September 2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Massa View Post
                I have an AMD E-350 APU (Radeon 6310). GNOME Shell is noticeably faster, and it seems gtkperf also got a nice boost compared to the open source driver (10 seconds to render everything, 17s on the open source driver). The system felt a little sluggish rendering even 2d apps before, now it's much faster.

I'll give VAAPI a try next, I'd love to not have to boot Windows to play HD videos.

Another thing I should mention is battery life seems much better with this driver as well.
                Nice to hear that

BTW: looks like amd has fixed link, so now also ati-driver-installer-11-9-x86.x86_64.run is available for download, although it's the same as ati-driver-installer-11.9-x86.x86_64.run which i mentioned at the begining of this thread

Comment

Tried installing it in Ubuntu 11.10 beta 2. Weird graphic artifacts on bootup, then appeared to hang. Was able to get to the login screen after undocking the laptop. Then seemed to be working ok apart from a compiz crash (but 11.10 is still a bit unstable so probably nothing to do with Catalyst). On shutdown, the laptop locked up with weird graphics. Reinstated Cat 11.8 from the Ubuntu 11.10 repos. I think I will give 11.9 a miss until things settle down a bit

Comment

Tried it on Kubuntu 11.10 and there appears to have been no changes since 11.8.

Promptly removed and back on the open source radeon driver.

Same time next month?

Comment

Working...
                    X