Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix Is Looking Great

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix Is Looking Great

Ubuntu Netbook Remix came around last year at Computex Taipei and the original version we tried out was quite nice with its small-screen optimizations and very different launcher interface compared to simply running GNOME or KDE on a small mobile device. This year when the Moblin V2 user-interface was finally unveiled and it put us in awe with its sleek, intuitive design that was driven by Clutter. How has Canonical responded to Intel and Moblin V2? Well, there is Ubuntu Moblin Netbook Remix that just debuted to deliver the best of Ubuntu and Moblin, but the traditional Ubuntu Netbook Remix has also picked up several improvements for its 9.10 release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I the only one who prefers the Netbook Remix to the regular GNOME desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by wiscados View Post
      Am I the only one who prefers the Netbook Remix to the regular GNOME desktop?
      Looks like a decent UI to me. Wonder how fast it is. Looks a lot saner than GnomeShell anywy.

Comment

Could you please test also Kubuntu Netbook Remix ?

Comment

The Ubuntu Software Store has been renamed to the "Ubuntu Software Center".

Comment

Here's hoping this version works better on the Dell Mini's than the previous Netbook remix version did. Mostly due to the Intel graphics train wreck though so, with the updated drivers no reason to think it won't be better.
            (fingers crossed)

Comment

It looks pretty but I thought Canonical was going to replace these shitty colours in 9.10.

Comment

Originally posted by makosol View Post
                Could you please test also Kubuntu Netbook Remix ?
                I too would enjoy a review of the upcoming Kubuntu Netbook Remix, the KDE plasma netbook shell looks quite polished and might be a better alternative to moblin.

Comment

Woah. I'm pleasantly surprised—that looks AWESOME. The colors are Ubuntu-ish while managing to not be drab (love that golden glow), and it just looks very slick overall. Congrats to Team Canonical!

Comment

I can't believe there sticking with Gnome for the NBR. Gnome is bloated and slow enough as it is on a computer with ample resources. A custom home-screen on top of xfce or black/fluxbox would make much more sense!

Comment

Working...
                    X