Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DRM Pull Request For The Linux 3.9 Kernel

Phoronix: The DRM Pull Request For The Linux 3.9 Kernel

The DRM pull request for the new features to be introduced in the Linux 3.9 kernel have been presented...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1302.3/00558.html
    This is the main drm pull for the 3.9-rc1 merge, and my chance to have my
    email published verbatim as an article by the worst news site ever.
    Pff, haters...

Comment

Where is power management ?

Where is the long awaited radeon power management ? Do we need to wait 2-3+ years ? AMD is laughing at us for sure. But not anymore. My next video card will be Nvidia for sure. Also my next processor will be an Intel Haswell. And I'm pretty sure there's more people out there that think like me.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        Where is the long awaited radeon power management ? Do we need to wait 2-3+ years ? AMD is laughing at us for sure. But not anymore. My next video card will be Nvidia for sure. Also my next processor will be an Intel Haswell. And I'm pretty sure there's more people out there that think like me.
        Or you can just use the Catalyst driver and get your power management capabilities included with it. Unless your card has already been relegated to Legacy....

And to the best of my knowledge (which may be wrong), the open Nouveau driver's power management capabilities aren't all that fantastic anyway, so you'll be stuck with the Nvidia driver blob if you go with the green camp. Tell me how different is that from installing AMD's catalyst driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          Or you can just use the Catalyst driver and get your power management capabilities included with it. Unless your card has already been relegated to Legacy....

And to the best of my knowledge (which may be wrong), the open Nouveau driver's power management capabilities aren't all that fantastic anyway, so you'll be stuck with the Nvidia driver blob if you go with the green camp. Tell me how different is that from installing AMD's catalyst driver?
          nVidia still supports old cards with it's proprietary driver. Which in turn is capable of nicely handling the power management.

Besides, I'm watching the nouveau dev channel, they are working hard on dynamic power management. Things will get better. Can't really say that for Radeon, altough I'm not too familiair with Radeon driver development.

Comment

There's work by many others with regards to this, but the commit that caught my eye:
            Martin Peres (11):
            <snip>
            drm/nouveau/therm: implement automatic fan management

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              There's work by many others with regards to this, but the commit that caught my eye:
              Doesn't work on all cards (yet).

You might want to read this: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/...ouveau_thermal

Comment

Working...
              X