Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm about to go out and get a 780G, what can I expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm about to go out and get a 780G, what can I expect?

Assuming everything goes to plan, in a few hours I'll be replacing my 6-year-old, loud, unstable, power-hungry Pentium 4 frankenstein monster with an AMD64 that's probably just as loud but runs slightly faster...

I've been holding off on this upgrade for a few months, but it looks like the driver side of things is starting to come together. What works and what doesn't right now?

You want to use onboard vga with fglrx or oss? With fglrx you will get lots of problems, like new kernel support, flickering videos and such things. With oss driver only 2d is supported well. I would definitly NOT use that onboard vga - you could get nvidia onboard too.

Comment

Yeah, I know onboard has always been a bit flaky, it's more of a stop-gap until I can get a real VGA card. I can live with 2D for now anyway.

Comment

With the oss Drivers you get 2D EXA and Xv. The 3D part has reached the glxgears milestone so maybe at end of the year you has 3D support for compiz etc.

About the fglrx i have no problem with it. But its true what Kano say about the Kernel Support. The latest supported version is .27 or .28
        Last edited by Nille; 21 July 2009, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Hmm... the total price wasn't anywhere as high as I expected so I've gone ahead and ordered a R700 card now as well. Not worth worrying about integrated graphics bugs just to save loose change.

Comment

You gain nothing with dedicated ATI. Those use the same drivers, only a NVIDIA gfx card would be better.
            Last edited by Kano; 21 July 2009, 09:22 AM.

Comment

If I wanted the "nVidia experience", I'd be buying a Mac instead.

Comment

fglrx experience is fully crap. Not even john carmack thinks that fglrx would be capable to run his latest id tech 5.

Comment

Well then I guess I'll consider that if I ever build a gaming PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    fglrx experience is fully crap. Not even john carmack thinks that fglrx would be capable to run his latest id tech 5.

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/14005
                    This is not the problem from ATI or other Vendors but from OpenGL.

Comment

Working...
                    X