Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Now Supports Four Android GPUs/Drivers

Phoronix: Mir Now Supports Four Android GPUs/Drivers

Mir has reached "a pretty big milestone" according to one of the Canonical developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So Canonicals plan is convergence obviously. Meaning you can plug your smartphone into a docking station and use it as full fledged desktop.
    How are they going to get XMir support into the often closed down SoC GPU drivers, so that you can run Libre Office on your smartphone?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      So Canonicals plan is convergence obviously. Meaning you can plug your smartphone into a docking station and use it as full fledged desktop.
      How are they going to get XMir support into the often closed down SoC GPU drivers, so that you can run Libre Office on your smartphone?
      A better question would be: How in hell are they going to adapt the user interface of gimp/libreoffice/blender/etc to make them run on a tablet?

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        A better question would be: How in hell are they going to adapt the user interface of gimp/libreoffice/blender/etc to make them run on a tablet?
        AFAIK; that's a question you'll have to ask the gimp/libreoffice/blender/etc developers. Using a tablet as a "watcom" tablet for Gimp would be pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          I don't think they expect/want you to run such software on a tablet. Canonicals own applications like File Browser, Photo Gallery will be adjusted so that they are the same application on all devices obviously. I'm talking about "convergence mode", when you changed your Tablet/Smartphone into a desktop with a large monitor. In that case you'd expect to be able to run all applications. I think that won't be the case, due to the lack of XMir support in SoC drivers. They couldn't even get Intel to merge their XMir patches.

Comment

What a waste of human resources!

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              AFAIK; that's a question you'll have to ask the gimp/libreoffice/blender/etc developers. Using a tablet as a "watcom" tablet for Gimp would be pretty sweet.
              Not unless you use a tablet such as galaxy note, which supports using a Wacom pen, and uses the same technology as the cheapest Wacom tablets. A regular capacitive touchscreen with a touchscreen stylus is simply horrible for any graphical work (no pressure sensitivity, poor accuracy, etc).

Let's hope Samsung brings in a Tizen version of Galaxy note, then you could potentially run GIMP or Krita under XWayland on it. Or you could install Tizen on an existing Galaxy Note...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Not unless you use a tablet such as galaxy note, which supports using a Wacom pen, and uses the same technology as the cheapest Wacom tablets. A regular capacitive touchscreen with a touchscreen stylus is simply horrible for any graphical work (no pressure sensitivity, poor accuracy, etc).
                I have a friend that is an artist that uses a tablet in this way. It must be a galaxy I guess. We have some of her art on our wall, its pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  I have a friend that is an artist that uses a tablet in this way. It must be a galaxy I guess.
                  Well not necessarily, after all, there are people who produce amazing art with mspaint, it doesn't make mspaint any less horrible for graphical work. Some people just enjoy the challenge I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    AFAIK, Cannonical's rejected XMir patches were/are for running a full X DE (unity 7) on top of Mir. The smartphone, tablet and future desktop releases have unity 8, running on Mir, so X apps are rootless and would not require patches on the drivers, which would only talk to Mir anyway...

Comment

Working...
                    X