Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rekonq 2.1 Web-Browser Brings More Features

Phoronix: Rekonq 2.1 Web-Browser Brings More Features

Less than one month after the release of the Rekonq 2.0 web-browser for the KDE desktop as an alternative to Konqueror, Rekonq 2.1 has surfaced and it brings more features to this open-source WebKit-powered project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should port it to Qt5 and get it running on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      This browser is pointless. Why does it even exist? Nobody is using it.
      Gives KDE a default browser. Also a convient way to play around with QtWebkit. I used it for a few days on my laptop, its a very nice, simple little browser with no major complaints except one: memory usage is a bit high.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Maybe KDE users want a Qt-based web browser.

Comment

extensions?

I remember there was a plan to get Rekonq working with Chrome extensions. Is anyone working on this? It would make the browser MUCH more appealing.

One odd thing with version 1.8 is that it doesn't call the KDE dialog box for opening files--the GTK one is invoked! Is this the case for everyone? I should file a bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
            I remember there was a plan to get Rekonq working with Chrome extensions. Is anyone working on this? It would make the browser MUCH more appealing.

One odd thing with version 1.8 is that it doesn't call the KDE dialog box for opening files--the GTK one is invoked! Is this the case for everyone? I should file a bug report.
            Chrome extensions can depend on a bunch of Chrome APIs (nacl, pepper) that Rekonq doesn't have, so I doubt it. It has kparts integration though, so you can extend it via those. I don't think trying to bolt on support for Chromes app framework is the best idea for a browser which has a (comparatively) tiny (and much better organized, I might add) code base than the big goliaths (mainly because it uses external libraries for everything, which is a good thing).

I have 2.0.2 installed, and I get the regular kde file browser (I just checked). If it's already fixed in a newer version it doesn't really need a bug report.

The one feature I would like to see though is tab syncing with Chrome / Firefox. Unlike reimplementing an addon framework, adding a few compatibility layers to export and import tabs would probably be fairly trivial (unless the google / mozilla sync servers are checking some internals of the browser to verify authenticity). Maybe if I have a free weekend soon I'll pull down the code and see how hard that would be.

Rekonq benchmarks better than my firefox aurora or nightly against sunspider / octane / kraken by a good 5 - 20%. It is a pretty solid tiny browser.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
              Preliminary research shows that it natively supports BOTH ppapi and whatever firefox's was called (dont remember atm). Flash worked out of the box ( i had installed from chromium and firefox) and it has adblock built in. I cant vouch for other extensions.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

QupZilla is pure Qt web browser which can be compiled with Qt5:

qupzilla.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, qupzilla.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

The point is that it's a lightweight Webkit-based brower that's integrated with KDE. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean nobody does (unless you're the only person that exists).

Comment

Rekonq and QupZilla are pretty good matches for Razor-qt. Lightweight and Qt-based. So there is a good reason for them to exist.

Comment

Working...
                    X