Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Engine Gets Into Physical Destruction

Phoronix: Unigine Engine Gets Into Physical Destruction

While the Linux community is still waiting on the native Linux release of the OpenGL3-using Unigine Heaven tech demo with its heavenly graphics (it's being held off by a bugged ATI Catalyst driver), the core developers working on this advanced game engine continue adding in new features. One of the latest features added into this proprietary engine is physical destruction with a destructible body type currently offering three destruction patterns...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are any games licensing their technology yet? Their stuff looks absolutely amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by sreyan View Post
      Are any games licensing their technology yet? Their stuff looks absolutely amazing.
      AFAIK, yes.
      Real-time 3D engine / VR platform for Simulation & Training, 3D Digital Twins, CAD, BIM, GIS. 3D graphics and physics library for С++ and C# developers.

Comment

Will the open-source ATi driver ever support OpenGL 3?

Comment

Originally posted by MartjeB View Post
          Will the open-source ATi driver ever support OpenGL 3?
          Arrg, is that why I can;t get it to run? I am using the latest development Ubuntu packages (for Ubuntu 10.04), and 3D certainly works in many cases, but the Unigine test in the PTS just crashes ...

I am using all the official repository packages, except for the kernel, which is the latest from the mainline kernel ppa.

Also, while we are at it, I am seeing performance for 3D to be about 1/3 rd or 1/4th of the performance with Catalyst. Is that expected? Or is there any good howto for performance tweaks? (I may be something obvious, though I did play around with xorg.conf options)

Thanks!

Comment

Here's the radeon feature matrix. You will note that support level is OGL2.0.

Remember that this driver is in heavy development. Reduced performance and features are expected.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              Here's the radeon feature matrix. You will note that support level is OGL2.0.

Remember that this driver is in heavy development. Reduced performance and features are expected.
              Thanks. You missed the link

I was actually wondering whether Unigine uses OGL3.0, but I guess the answer is Yes.

The other point, I understand and I can't tell you how happy i am to be able to run my machine with no binary blobs. It's the latest vanilla kernel and open source drivers now. Well, this is just a test partition I'll move to whenever Kubuntu 10.04 stabilizes. So, THANK YOU ALL wonderful people working on this, including our beloved Awesome Dude.

Really what I am thinking is that there maybe some simple ways to make performance better, perhaps with some configuration parameters, or switching to a PPA, etc., I'd like to test this before committing to switch. My family seems to believe that breaking all their desktops is unacceptable, go figure

Comment

Nice feature... but hard-coded. Count me out :P

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  I was actually wondering whether Unigine uses OGL3.0, but I guess the answer is Yes.
                  AFAIK it doesn't require 3.0, but only some extensions. Mesa doesn't implement all of them yet. You can follow progress here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23884

Comment

sounds nice... but are any of those clients going to release for linux ? probably not.

Comment

Working...
                    X