Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.1: Expected In April, Will Bring In New Modules

Phoronix: Qt 5.1: Expected In April, Will Bring In New Modules

Lars Knoll has revealed a few more details today about Digia's plans for Qt 5.1. He also shared that they are hoping to ship this next tool-kit update in late April...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is Qt X11 Extras?

Comment

Wayland

Looking forward to the improved Wayland support.

I wish Qt would use XCB instead xlib though.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Qt 5 already uses XCB. One thing that applications need to do when porting from Qt 4 to 5 is stop using xlib (or so I have understood).

Comment

Looking forward to the improved Wayland support.

I am pretty sure Qt uses XCB (at least 5.x).

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
            Qt 5 already uses XCB. One thing that applications need to do when porting from Qt 4 to 5 is stop using xlib (or so I have understood).
            Wow, sweet!

Because I think I've heard before that GTK and Qt just ignored XCB and kept using xlib because they had such messy code with so many hacks to workaround issues in xlib.

Hearing Qt use XCB is great!
            I wish GTK would use XCB too...

Comment

Wow, sweet!

Because I think I've heard before that GTK and Qt just ignored XCB and kept using xlib because they had such messy code with so many hacks to workaround issues in xlib.

Hearing Qt use XCB is great!
              I wish GTK would use XCB too...
              That was true in Qt4 apps, but with Qt5 now everyone is having to port to use XCB.

That's the main set of work going into KWin right now, is porting to XCB so that the eventual Qt5 port can start - which will then lead into Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                That was true in Qt4 apps, but with Qt5 now everyone is having to port to use XCB.

That's the main set of work going into KWin right now, is porting to XCB so that the eventual Qt5 port can start - which will then lead into Wayland support.
                Cool!

XCB is much cleaner and asynchronous so it should be faster.
                Xlib is synchronous so not as good and may be therefor be slower.

I wish GTK would get ported to XCB too, but I've heard they're not interested because GTK works and they done lots of ugly hacks and workarounds to make sure it works despite all flaws and issues of Xlib.

Does Clutter and EFL use XCB?

Comment

Good to hear that things are progressing nicely.

I'm waiting a few more minor releases before I port my Qt4 software though, I like the idea of moving the GUI into a separate QML 'layer' but there isn't a clearly defined design pattern or at least a scalable tutorial on migrating a very complex QWidget UI to a QML equivalent. It'll appear in time though as more people take the plunge.

Comment

XCB is much cleaner and asynchronous so it should be faster.
                    Xlib is synchronous so not as good and may be therefor be slower.
                    XCB has its downsides too compared to xlib. Primarily:

- it requires python to build (a core lib!)
                    - it comes as a smattering of tiny libs instead of one big one (this slows down app startup)

Comment

Working...
                    X