Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garry's Mod Running On Linux

Phoronix: Garry's Mod Running On Linux

The Garry's Mod sandbox physics mod game powered by the Source Engine is now running well natively on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix it? http://pastie.org/8013213

Comment

I've been trying to get it running off and on since yesterday morning. I keep getting an error pop-up during the loading screen though: "Could not load library client (unknown error)".

The terminal output isn't particularly helpful either; there's some errors about gameoverlayrenderer.so not being able to be preloaded, warnings about LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB "Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent" and not being able to load/find some shader cache before seg-faulting.

A friend of mine on a 32-bit Kubuntu install has been able to play with no issues, while I and others I have heard from with the same problem seem to all be on 64-bit distros.

Comment

It is still broken but if you install gconf-32bit it should go further...

Comment

I'm on gentoo with the multilib overlay, so there are no 32 bit packages, all libraries are compiled for 64 and 32 bit. So what exactly do I need?

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
            It is still broken but if you install gconf-32bit it should go further...
            Ya, installing ia32-libs in Kubuntu seemed to sort the gconf-32 issue for me.

Now I get to crash one step further down the line after the Facepunch logo shows up and it tries to load some stuff.

Comment

Woo, can finally get to the main menu now without crashing, didn't try going any further yet as I am on my way to bed atm, but figured I would mention it at least for those interested.

Comment

Code:
                Now I get to crash one step further down the line after the Facepunch logo shows up and it tries to load some stuff.
                How did you solved that?

Comment

I figure Valve intentionally hasn't told anyone about it. I'm assuming it's in a serious beta state, where they don't want new customers buying it and reporting things that might not be issues. If you already own it and it happens to show up in your games list, chances are you already played it on Windows, so these people are the ones who are most likely to know what's a problem and what isn't, and can be more patient for future updates.

Comment

Originally posted by towo2099 View Post
                    Code:
                    How did you solved that?
                    I didn't; Garry did. I had to restart my machine and when I restarted my Steam client an update for GMod ran and I tried to launch it again and I got through to the main menu for the game.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I figure Valve intentionally hasn't told anyone about it. I'm assuming it's in a serious beta state, where they don't want new customers buying it and reporting things that might not be issues. If you already own it and it happens to show up in your games list, chances are you already played it on Windows, so these people are the ones who are most likely to know what's a problem and what isn't, and can be more patient for future updates.
                    If you own it and can't install/launch it, then it is probably because you didn't opt into the development beta, there was an announcement a few days back by Garry that using the secret word from the game will give you access to the new SteamPipe-based development beta. http://linuxgamecast.com/2013/05/gar...lient-support/

Comment

Working...
                    X