Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 12.8 Driver For Linux: Not Exciting

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 12.8 Driver For Linux: Not Exciting

A Catalyst 12.8 proprietary driver release is now available for Linux, but it doesn't pack much in the way of changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since when is BINARY BLOB ***ever*** exciting??????
    What would be EXCITING is if they cancelled the blob altogether and set all the devs on to the radeon driver.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Since when is BINARY BLOB ***ever*** exciting??????
      What would be EXCITING is if they cancelled the blob altogether and set all the devs on to the radeon driver.
      The blob shares a lot of code with windows/mac drivers, so it's not like there's a big bunch of people working on the Linux blob.

Comment

My guess is that AMD devs are currently focusing on incorporating the changes that resulted out of the joint debugging and improving sessions at VALVE.
        This code probably gets refined, tested and possibly improved. Extensive changes also need lots of testing and likely some bug-fixing.

I suppose they will release all that goodness in October or November when the Steam client gets unleashed.

Comment

All I want is working suspend and resume on AMD Fusion

Comment

It was little exciting for me

My laptops battery has increased. It shows more than 4 hours in integrated card. Still the fgl_glxgears fps has not changed from 700-800 and I am still unable to run any wine game that involves directx. Native linux games like trine runs fine.

Comment

I tried it last night on a Trinity laptop ( A10 + discrete 7670M ) and there is no noticeable difference in power consumption. The laptop is still very warm in basic usage ( compared to windows ).

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                The blob shares a lot of code with windows/mac drivers, so it's not like there's a big bunch of people working on the Linux blob.
                So?

10chars

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                  All I want is working suspend and resume on AMD Fusion
                  Works 100% on my Llano....

Oh wait, that's because I'm using the superior free radeon driver and not some crappy blob.

Comment

Originally posted by xpressrazor View Post
                    My laptops battery has increased. It shows more than 4 hours in integrated card. Still the fgl_glxgears fps has not changed from 700-800 and I am still unable to run any wine game that involves directx. Native linux games like trine runs fine.
                    glxgears is not a benchmark.
                    wine is a hack, not *expected* to work... ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X