Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Lenny 5.0 Released

Phoronix: Debian Lenny 5.0 Released

Nearly two years after the introduction of Debian 4.0 "Etch", Debian has reached the version 5.0 milestone. Debian 5.0 "Lenny" was released yesterday on Valentine's Day after it previously had faced a few delays...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nuclear-bomb-stable

Yes it can

Comment

what debian have to offer against opensuse fedora or ubuntu except that debian is very stable?

Comment

Originally posted by nir2142 View Post
        what debian have to offer against opensuse fedora or ubuntu except that debian is very stable?
        Stability is a /very/ strong argument for many people, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by nir2142 View Post
          It has probably the biggest repository, it supports the most architectures, it uses the default desktop environment configuration's, it uses dpkg/apt-get, it has very nice splitted packages for example with KDE which makes it fun to use the netinst. Debian is not bleeding-edge, but it does everythink else just right.

Comment

The default kernel is just too old - combine it with 2.6.28 and you will have much more fun Btw. it is really nice that the official 64 bit plugin went into it, just

apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

even with AMD64 and it should work (when non-free sources are enabled).

Comment

with modules-assistant (an awesome tool btw) and a kernel packaging guide

you too can run debian with 2.6.28 :-P

Comment

I have got already a repository with that. And I prefer dkms over m-a because dkms works automatically.

Comment

@kano I had heard of that but haven't tried it... so you are saying it works even for kernels i build myself?

Comment

Of course, when you use make-kpkg then it is triggered on install, otherwise on boot. My 3d driver scripts use dkms for nvidia + fglrx automatically - even on pure Debian.

Comment

Working...
                    X