Memory usage of Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory usage of Catalyst

Is there some way to see how much RAM fglrx is using? Something here eats RAM like peanuts and it's something not shown by ps. free -m says:

Code:
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          5965       4267       1697          0        966       1514
    -/+ buffers/cache:       1786       4179
    Swap:          917          0        917
    That is 1786MB when taking out cache and buffers. However, adding up all the programs shown by ps or KDE's system monitor, it's only about 300MB. I suspect Catalyst to eat the remaining 1.5GB

Any hints to see what's going on?

What says top with M?

Comment

Code:
        PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
       2662 root      20   0  650m 193m  25m S    2  3.2  18:21.49 X

Comment

That seems to be much (RES), if this is direct after starting X. But it does not explain your memory consumption. If there is no other process shown in top, I suspect a kernel thread. Those are not shown in top, AFAIK. It's possible, that fglrx is responsible for this.

Comment

Yeah, the problem is I don't know of a way to see where the memory goes :P

The X server btw was running for about 7 hours. It only uses about 70MB right at startup and then increases over time. Right now it increased from 193m from my previous post to 213m. But at some point it stabilizes and doesn't increase anymore and in some occasions actually decreases. I suppose X is keeping internal buffers/cache.
          Last edited by RealNC; 03 April 2009, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X