Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Active Three Boosts The Performance

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Active Three Boosts The Performance

KDE Plasma Active, the desktop environment's device-independent user-experience, is now up to its third release. KDE Plasma Active Three boosts the performance while also bringing new applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am very glad that KDE is working on Plasma Active.

Within a few years, every LCD screen sold on the market is going to have a touchscreen. All laptops and all Desktops. Trying to get an LCD screen without a touchscreen built in is going to be like trying to buy a CRT monitor.
    Microsoft already knows this, as they are always in good contact with hardware manufs. That's why they made Windows 8 to be so touchscreen focused.

It's good to see Linux desktops (KDE, Gnome, Unity) being so ready for the next major technology shift.

There are already a few very cheap Windows 8 laptops coming out this year that have touchscreens. It was announced last week on Engadget. It's starting to look like the overwhelming majority of Windows 8 laptops released next year will have touchscreens.... and it looks like KDE, Gnome3 and Unity will be ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
      Within a few years, every LCD screen sold on the market is going to have a touchscreen. All laptops and all Desktops. Trying to get an LCD screen without a touchscreen built in is going to be like trying to buy a CRT monitor.

Microsoft already knows this, as they are always in good contact with hardware manufs. That's why they made Windows 8 to be so touchscreen focused.
      Minor nitpick here. I think you've got your cause/effect backwards. The major push by hardware manufacturers to create laptops with touchscreens built-in is a result of how Microsoft designed Windows 8, not the other way around. Windows 8 is not nearly as usable with a keyboard/mouse as previous windows versions, and the hardware manufacturers are being forced to add touchscreens in order to avoid a rush of angry users.

Comment

I'm already pissed of having finger prints all over my phones screen. Who the hell wants to have fingerprints on their laptops and desktop pcs too?

Comment

Fingerprints

Originally posted by droste View Post
          I'm already pissed of having finger prints all over my phones screen. Who the hell wants to have fingerprints on their laptops and desktop pcs too?
          Touchscreen will be a fad. It's great for specific applications like your phone or tablet and in this instance, it's here to stay. But laptops and desktops and even servers are a whole different market where touch screen just doesn't do it.

The act of typing will keep laptops and/or desktops from being made irrelevant by tablets and phones, unless people think users will lug their docking stations around everywhere.

And when I'm typing or working on documents, the last thing I want to look at is cruddy finger prints on screen. Heck, I'm lazy. I try to go as long as I can without cleaning my screen. Which is actually rather easy, considering I never touch the thing.

Comment

I hate touchscreens. They don't really work nicely, they're more pricey and I also hate fingerprints on a screen. Anyway, having support for that might not be bad, what is bad, if suddenly KDE folks go crazy (like certain FF devs who though version numbering is obsolete and nobody needs/wants version numbers, or like Apple inventing the one button mouse, cheers!) and think the world is one single touchscreen.

The other thing that caused a nervous reaction was "search driven". When I want to search, then I do a search. But when I want a classic directory (over)view then the damn file manager better gives me exactly that. Showing all the details I specify (name, date, size, owner maybe). KDE people messed up already with their damn semantic desktop and their file indexing etc. which just causes nausea for the user, software to bloat and systems to slow down. The problem is these things become less optional.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Finally, took them a while. I wonder what kernel the LiveCD is running on, though, as my tablet requires a really recent one... And it's good to hear about more touchscreen apps and better performance. Still won't beat my Gentoo with Xfce, but hey, it's still worth a try!

Comment

Plasma Active is just one out of three options KDE alone produces. Plasma Desktop will not go away anytime soon.

Comment

I know :-) This was not about KDE Plasma Active. I'm perfectly fine with this. This was about every display becoming a touchscreen.

Comment

Perhaps we should be buying the stock of the companies who sell those little screen wipe towlettes you see in corporate office supply cabinets.

Comment

Working...
                    X