Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30-Way Graphics Card Comparison On Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: 30-Way Graphics Card Comparison On Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS

After this week already seeing how the open-source graphics drivers supplied by Ubuntu 14.04 LTS allow Radeon Gallium3D to run at ~80% of the Catalyst Linux driver and how open-source graphics still struggle with older hardware, our latest testing of the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS development version that will be released next month leads us to benchmarking 30 different AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards under this popular desktop Linux distribution.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for this. Was just gonna get a GTX 750, seems like the perfect gpu for work / casual gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
      Thanks for this. Was just gonna get a GTX 750, seems like the perfect gpu for work / casual gaming.
      For work, you usually don't need any dedicated GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        For work, you usually don't need any dedicated GPU.
        But if you game with the same machine, it obviously would come handy to have a GPU that is energy efficient & not very noisy at idle.

Comment

Redundant to test 8800GT with 9800GT

Michael, FYI: 8800GT = 9800GT = GTS250 You only need to test one of them.
          They use either the G92a or G92b gpus. Difference was just going from 65nm to 55nm, and that useless hybrid feature.

You can actually crossflash the things around and they id themselves as any of these models. Ie the 9800gt firmware enables phys support to the 8800gt.
          The only reason you get different results is memory size, and speed (some such as "green" models came underclocked).

I know nvidia has reused their gpus in other models but thats the one i know the most.

The 8800GTS was a different beast, much more worth testing IMO.

The 8800GT was infamous because of their badly configured firmware fan settings, the card would happily reach 90?c with factory firmware.
          With a few firmware tweaks on mine, it never got past 70?c. Some people lost their cards for trusting their manufacturer supplied firmware settings, but some brands did issue firmware updates. Oh and the single slot reference model was very noisy when pushed to max.

Compared to the quiet and power efficient 750ti, its incredible how much progress nvidia has done. I'll probably replace my 460 with the 750ti or a newer maxwell based gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
            Michael, FYI: 8800GT = 9800GT = GTS250 You only need to test one of them.
            Not quite so, 8800gt and 9800gt are same core config 112 cuda cores(though Michael's cards have different memory configs), but gts250 is rebranded 9800gtx/8800gts512 with full g92 128 cuda cores.

Comment

Please stop writing "binary driver"

Please stop writing "binary driver" . You can only employ drivers in their binary form . Either write "binary-only driver", since their souce code is what is not provided by their authors and missing to the end-user, or write "propietary driver". Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by toka View Post
                Please stop writing "binary driver" . You can only employ drivers in their binary form . Either write "binary-only driver", since their souce code is what is not provided by their authors and missing to the end-user, or write "propietary driver". Thanks.
                You mean end-user-binary-only driver, maybe non-NVidia-guys-binary-only driver?

If you want to be perfectionist, be a true perfectionist.

Comment

Originally posted by toka View Post
                  um... seriously?

"Binary Driver" is a well known and accepted term for drivers that are only obtainable in their binary form, as opposed to "open source drivers" you are the first and probably the only person I'll ever seen complain about this across the various linux news sites.

Comment

NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti and Ubuntu 13.10

Is it safe to say that I must install Ubuntu 14.04 in order for the NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti to work?
                    I am trying to install Ubuntu 13.10 and right where the install goes into graphics mode
                    my install stops. All I have is a flashing cursor.

In the process right now of downloading Ubuntu 14.04. If that does not work not sure
                    what to do next.

Thanks
                    Peter

Comment

Working...
                    X