Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross-Desktop Collaboration During FreeDesktop Summit 2014

Phoronix: Cross-Desktop Collaboration During FreeDesktop Summit 2014

Taking place earlier this month in N?rnberg at the SUSE office was the 2014 FreeDesktop Summit where members of GNOME, KDE, Unity, and LXDE-Qt desktops collaborated over joint topics important to the success of the Linux desktop in a cross-desktop world...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On a side note:
    The Gnome guy was there just by accident. He read just ?desktop? and thought it must be a Gnome-exclusive event. As we all know, developers of GTK-based DEs don't cooperate. That's why neither Mate, Cinnamon, Elementary, nor Xfce were present.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      On a side note:
      The Gnome guy was there just by accident. He read just ?desktop? and thought it must be a Gnome-exclusive event. As we all know, developers of GTK-based DEs don't cooperate. That's why neither Mate, Cinnamon, Elementary, nor Xfce were present.
      I thought Elementary uses EFL, and not GTK?

Comment

On a side note:
        The Gnome guy was there just by accident. He read just “desktop” and thought it must be a Gnome-exclusive event. As we all know, developers of GTK-based DEs don't cooperate. That's why neither Mate, Cinnamon, Elementary, nor Xfce were present.
        /* can't suppress my self from continuing this sadly realistic joke */

not all that black, lol

they finally fixed AppMenu incompatibility in 3.12 and it only took them 3.5 years (we can surely expect that in next 12 years they'll fix remaining deviations). still, there is no step ahead without 2 steps back it seems... http://worldofgnome.org/gnome-disks-...-raid-support/

so, mdraid never worked... we have better options like btrfs (experimental) and zfs (lol, no real world testing beside being done on fuse). sometimes, i really want to buy plane ticket just to smack one gnome developer, lol

then again, it got awesome CSD... huh? ok, whatever

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
        I thought Elementary uses EFL, and not GTK?
        yes. but, name elementary is used for gtk based distro too. they have nothing in common

Last edited by justmy2cents; 21 April 2014, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          so, mdraid never worked... we have better options like btrfs (experimental) and zfs (lol, no real world testing beside being done on fuse). sometimes, i really want to buy plane ticket just to smack one gnome developer, lol
          ZFS works very well on FreeBSD. Gnome would ?just? have to support FreeBSD properly but considering that Gnome devs have even a hard time recognizing other DEs on Linux, I doubt other operating systems are even on their radar?

then again, it got awesome CSD... huh? ok, whatever
          Look at these screenshots from a Reddit thread:

There is also a screenshot by an Xfce user who wrote a runtime hack to remove the headerbars afterwards:

I have a tiny bit of hope that the standardization of the XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP environment variable will mean that Gnome apps will hide the headerbars in anything but Gnome. Again: It's only a tiny bit of hope.

yes. but, name elementary is used for gtk based distro too. they have nothing in common

http://elementaryos.org/
          Oh, yes? the EFL widget library? forgot about that.

Comment

ZFS works very well on FreeBSD. Gnome would ?just? have to support FreeBSD properly but considering that Gnome devs have even a hard time recognizing other DEs on Linux, I doubt other operating systems are even on their radar?
            well, main gnome installation base is linux and i wouldn't put zfs to hold trash folder there.

all the topics i used to whine while i was still using gnome. and worst thing is that all those could more or less be fixed without problems or disturbing desktop. that or using hammer on McCanns kbd+mouse

most things can be solved as extensions, but doing corporate desktop where you need to rely on outside solutions just to make desktop work is definitely bad choice. if they at least put those extensions as disabled+installed

well, i got 10 years younger when i finally had it enough with it and moved to enlightenment

I have a tiny bit of hope that the standardization of the XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP environment variable will mean that Gnome apps will hide the headerbars in anything but Gnome. Again: It's only a tiny bit of hope.
            being that they use them as toolbars, all they can do is hide title.

Comment

well, main gnome installation base is linux and i wouldn't put zfs to hold trash folder there.
              If their argument is to not support RAID because of ZFS, they should support ZFS and FreeBSD is the place to do this these days thanks to the efforts by iXsystems and contributors.

being that they use them as toolbars, all they can do is hide title.
              Look at the headeraway screenshot again.

Comment

So much useless ranting in a thread about maybe one of the biggest things related to Linux Desktop of the year.

Comment

On a side note:
                  That was really uncalled for.
                  GNOME is a huge community, with different people working on different aspects of the GNOME stack.
                  Even if the ones working on UI bits can sometimes come across as isolating themselves, there are also those working on base infrastructure and plumbing.

There is a great deal of effort spent by the latter on common specs and sharable technologies.
                  As evident by the work done at the summit and its previous installments.

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                    That was really uncalled for.
                    GNOME is a huge community, with different people working on different aspects of the GNOME stack.
                    Even if the ones working on UI bits can sometimes come across as isolating themselves, there are also those working on base infrastructure and plumbing.

There is a great deal of effort spent by the latter on common specs and sharable technologies.
                    As evident by the work done at the summit and its previous installments.
                    Hey, it's not that I like being right in such cases. I actually prefer that I'm wrong and misbehaviour of Gnome apps under non-Gnome DEs was just a side effect of changed Gnome HIGs and that those sideeffects will be remedied in Gnome 3.14 (ie. transform headerbars to regular toolbars when not running under Gnome).

In a related field: My information is that Gnome to this day does not officially support the StatusNotifier specs. My information is that Gnome did not adopt it because first they didn't care and later their feelings were hurt because KDE and Canonical were already solidifying the specs.
                    I really hope that I missed something and Gnome changed their attitude. So far it was a practical example of how progress is slowed down by Gnome's unwillingness to adopt specs the ?competition? designed.

Comment

Working...
                    X