Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux KVM vs. HandelSpielVM Virtualization

Phoronix: Linux KVM vs. HandelSpielVM Virtualization

At the request of many Phoronix readers, here are some new Linux virtualization benchmarks. Being compared is the performance of KVM (the Kernel-based Virtual Machine) to that of HandelSpielVM on the Linux 3.0 kernel with a stock Ubuntu 11.10 for both the host and guest.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The chosen name of the other vm is funny, but usually i only use the player app of it because of better usb support compared to vbox. I think that is limited to 1 core but does not hurt the use case for it. kvm can be used from cli more easyly as it simply works with the standard qemu options. I would not overrate speed/fsync issues too much, but well always depends on what you do with your vm. If desktop integration is on the top priority list then kvm or xen is no good choice.

Comment

I'll just about guarantee that it is VMWare. Is there any other option? Especially a different option that (as with VMWare) refuses to allow benchmarks to be published? It took me longer to remember the name than to figure out which one it was.

Comment

Originally posted by PreferLinux View Post
        I'll just about guarantee that it is VMWare. Is there any other option? Especially a different option that (as with VMWare) refuses to allow benchmarks to be published? It took me longer to remember the name than to figure out which one it was.
        I've posted links to esx/kvm benchmarks on the same hardware in the not-to-distant past.
        If you don't want to look them up, from memory, they performed extremely similarly.

Comment

Oh, VMWare allowed you to publish these? Hint, read the dmesg in the OB logs section

Comment

I actually think these codenamed articles are really a clever ploy to get more people familiar with OB

Comment

As I understand it, the main current differentiator favoring "HandelSpiel" over other virtualization solutions -- and this may hold true only for Windows hosts AND guests -- is pass-thru to GPU hardware 3D acceleration. In all other respects, the hypervisors are doing more-or-less the same thing, as we can see from the results of this benchmarking.

Comment

Do you mix it up with Xen with vga paththru which requires 2 gfx chips/monitors?

Comment

Working...
                X