Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing To Finish X.Org Multi-Touch Support

Phoronix: Racing To Finish X.Org Multi-Touch Support

Peter Hutterer has provided an update on the state of X.Org multi-touch support as he hopes to have this input feature ready for integration into the next X.Org Server release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If Desktop Linux doesn't want to get washed out by Android, then it's important to get multi-touch out asap.

Canonical would be stupid not to go with the multi touch release as it can only add time to availability of Ubuntu Tablets, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      Canonical would be stupid not to go with the multi touch release as it can only add time to availability of Ubuntu Tablets, etc.
      Canonical is deeply committed to the future of computing and how humans interact with computers on a daily basis. Multi-touch technologies are the next step in this area, and this project groups aims to collect our efforts in this field centrally on Launchpad. The uTouch components are comprised of infrastructure, libraries, and tools developed by Canonical in support of multi-touch hardware.

If I'm not mistaken Ubuntu has had multi-touch support by default since 10.10

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
        https://unity.ubuntu.com/projects/utouch/

Right. I'm really glad that there's going to be multi-touch support from upstream Xorg though. I've been working on porting Unity over to Arch Linux and porting uTouch was really a pain (required patching of every Xorg driver that has multitouch patches).

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          https://unity.ubuntu.com/projects/utouch/

Ok thanks for the feedback. I wasn't aware even though a while back I recall them saying there was work on APIs. I guess the XORG level support is deeper/hardware based. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Linux distributors all should recommend a tablet that suits their OS, even go so far as sell them through their website with high priority on latest technology and quality. There are plenty of Chinese outfits making no named tablets that could be scrutinised.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
            Ok thanks for the feedback. I wasn't aware even though a while back I recall them saying there was work on APIs. I guess the XORG level support is deeper/hardware based. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Linux distributors all should recommend a tablet that suits their OS, even go so far as sell them through their website with high priority on latest technology and quality. There are plenty of Chinese outfits making no named tablets that could be scrutinised.
            I'm don't understand the Xorg code very much, but uTouch requires many patches in Xorg, which they named "XInput 2.1". Maybe the new XInput 2.2 is based off of some uTouch code?

Comment

Working...
            X