Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's KWin Ported To Qt Quick 2

Phoronix: KDE's KWin Ported To Qt Quick 2

Martin Gr??lin, the German KWin window manager maintainer for KDE, is making good progress in porting the code-base for KDE Frameworks 5 compatibility...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The technical prowess of the KDE community has always astounded me. I do remember a time when I thought KDE may be one of the best-looking DEs, as well. However, their inconsistent and cluttered design has grown more tedious to work with as the mobile revolution has pointed out many of the flaws in traditional desktop design.

Some of those problems should be easy to fix, but the layout issues will take a lot of work. I hope that Qt Quick 2 and QML will allow more focus and iteration on those aspects of KDE, as it really is beautiful software. Applications like Dolphin and Gwenview really show what Qt on KDE is capable of, and I hope that trend continues.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      The technical prowess of the KDE community has always astounded me. I do remember a time when I thought KDE may be one of the best-looking DEs, as well. However, their inconsistent and cluttered design has grown more tedious to work with as the mobile revolution has pointed out many of the flaws in traditional desktop design.

Some of those problems should be easy to fix, but the layout issues will take a lot of work. I hope that Qt Quick 2 and QML will allow more focus and iteration on those aspects of KDE, as it really is beautiful software. Applications like Dolphin and Gwenview really show what Qt on KDE is capable of, and I hope that trend continues.
      Thats actually one of the points from Frameworks 5... They want multiple shells for multiple use cases. For example, when you start up a computer (computer being a generic term for anything with a CPU) if it detects a traditional laptop or desktop...you get the traditional look by default. If it detects a tablet or mobile, you get Plasma Active, they also talked about adding a "Point Of Sales" style area where you tell it what you want loaded up, and THAT app gets loaded and no real "desktop" comes up. Thankfully QtQuick and Qt5 make mobile and changing layouts very easy so KDE can decide what looks best for mobile and desktop and not try to shoehorn one or the other onto the other.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
      X