Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI R600/700 3D Support In Fedora 12

Phoronix: ATI R600/700 3D Support In Fedora 12

Fedora 12 provides "out of the box" support for kernel mode-setting with ATI R600/700 series graphics hardware, but it does not provide 3D acceleration by default. However, Red Hat's X developers have made it very easy to enable this 3D support for the ATI Radeon HD 2000, 3000, and 4000 series hardware by just installing a special Mesa package from yum. In this article we are taking a quick look at where the R600/700 3D support is at in Fedora 12.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent. Also, Catalyst 9.10 finally works on Fedora 11.

Comment

Doesnt work well for me .

Made a fresh install of the 64bit beta updated it and installed the experimental package for my 2900pro.

Now it mostly hard locked in gdm or sometimes gives me about 10min before X frezes

Comment

The open source radeon driver does not correctly display on Mitsubishi's new line of DLPs. It is horribly overscanned. The TV allows "1080p reduce" but then it's horribly underscanned. On Windows or with the proprietary drivers the image is slightly underscanned (without the 1080p reduce). The Catalyst Control Center then allows correcting for underscan. I have not been able to find any overscan/underscan correction for radeonhd.

Comment

So... does it means that it will support ati 5800 series?? Im very interested on this... beacause the open source drivers are faster than fglx in 2d acceleration. 3d acceleration doesnt care me.

Comment

Originally posted by salva84 View Post
            So... does it means that it will support ati 5800 series?? Im very interested on this... beacause the open source drivers are faster than fglx in 2d acceleration. 3d acceleration doesnt care me.
            Radeon HD 5800 series is R800 / Evergreen series...
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Built-in Radeon 3100 RS780 working great!

Using XOrg Server 1.6.4, Mesa 7.6, radeon_hd 1.8, kernel 2.6.32-rc5 on a Toshiba L305D at 1280x800 is working amazingly well for me.

IoQuake3, OpenArena, WorldOfPadman, Nexuiz, Tremulous, BZFlag, SuperTuxKart are all working with no unusual artifacting. Frame rates are approximately 60 for IOQ3, OA and WOP.

Alien Arena works, but frame rates are pretty low, which is not unexpected for Alien Arena.

I build all of my programs from source, so my versions are probably not what you'd find on a standard distribution.

About the only thing that I'm hoping for is OpenGL 2.X and 3.X support.

Comment

I forgot to mention Urban Terror is working just fine for me also. Text displays just fine. I'm running it as a mod from my IoQuake build.

Comment

Originally posted by salva84 View Post
                  Sure, you just need to wait for support to be added. R800 is very similar to R600/700. This won't be anywhere near as long as the wait for R600 was.

Comment

Originally posted by etymxris View Post
                    The open source radeon driver does not correctly display on Mitsubishi's new line of DLPs. It is horribly overscanned. The TV allows "1080p reduce" but then it's horribly underscanned. On Windows or with the proprietary drivers the image is slightly underscanned (without the 1080p reduce). The Catalyst Control Center then allows correcting for underscan. I have not been able to find any overscan/underscan correction for radeonhd.
                    Typical with DLP's. Might be time to upgrade to LCD.

Comment

Working...
                    X