Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment E17 Officially Released

Phoronix: Enlightenment E17 Officially Released

The world didn't end yesterday and Enlightenment E17 was officially released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope it's not like Duke Nukem's sequel

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      I hope it's not like Duke Nukem's sequel
      There's one major difference so far ... E17 doesn't suck.

Comment

It is a bit weird DE design wise, oldschool meets newschool.. But the technical foundation it is built upon is interesting. But it is only just released, so only time will tell where its UI design goes.

Sad it took them so long, since there would have been a much greater demand for decent lightweight alternatives even a year or two ago..

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
          It is a bit weird DE design wise, oldschool meets newschool.. But the technical foundation it is built upon is interesting. But it is only just released, so only time will tell where its UI design goes.

Sad it took them so long, since there would have been a much greater demand for decent lightweight alternatives even a year or two ago..
          With the current situation in Linux DEs E17 is the best thing that could happen. Props to the devs and hope they start adding missing functionality soon.

Comment

It is the best desktop I ever used. The only thing that I am slightly disappointed with is that there are too few animations in the default theme compared to the previous default theme for me. Those were really subtle and good animations in my opinion. e.g. I loved the animation when you hovered a menu item. While other desktops simply fade one color to another on e there was this animation where the selection seemed to fly down on the menu item and the color of the text was inverted and got a text shadow. And the whole animation was so fast that it didn't feel heavy but almost like an old school menu with no animation only somehow better. Same with checking and unchecking a check box or a radio button.

Still other than that I really like the new theme and everything else. The new filemanager with terminology is also good enough to replace dolphin for me. I do miss tabs a little, but it has the huge advantage of not making loud noises all the time when there is a dvd inserted. And it has the rightclick -> "open terminal here" feature which is a good enough replacement for a built in terminal.

Also I am more efficient with virtual desktops than on every other desktop environment. There are mainly two reasons for this:
            1) the default keybindings alt+F1-F4 are so much more comfortable than the usual ctr+F1-F4
            2) you don't need the pager for moving windows to other virtual desktops, you can just hold down your mouse button on the window decoration and then alt+F1-F4 (this is sooo useful)

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
              I do miss tabs a little, but it has the huge advantage of not making loud noises all the time when there is a dvd inserted.
              Huzzah! Another one who is so annoyed by this bug.
              This is one of several bugs that currently makes me move away from kde.

And it has the rightclick -> "open terminal here" feature which is a good enough replacement for a built in terminal.
              The builtin terminal is the other thing that drove me crazy with dolphin: sync PWD between view and term... Do not try to run a process in embedded term that changes to another dir...

1) the default keybindings alt+F1-F4 are so much more comfortable than the usual ctr+F1-F4
              That never was a problem for me.
              2) you don't need the pager for moving windows to other virtual desktops, you can just hold down your mouse button on the window decoration and then alt+F1-F4 (this is sooo useful)
              Huh, that's nice Thx!

The only thing that I really gonna miss is kdevelop. I need an IDE that plays well with Qt, and qtcreator is not really an alternative - find usage of SIGNALS/SLOTS is so fucking great in kdevelop...
              But, well - build kdelibs without udisks support will prevent me from getting spinning dvd. Thx to gentoo..

Another great thing about e17 is the everything starter. Like it more then krunner
              Last edited by schmalzler; 22 December 2012, 11:12 AM.

Comment

It is the best desktop I ever used. The only thing that I am slightly disappointed with is that there are too few animations in the default theme compared to the previous default theme for me. Those were really subtle and good animations in my opinion. e.g. I loved the animation when you hovered a menu item. While other desktops simply fade one color to another on e there was this animation where the selection seemed to fly down on the menu item and the color of the text was inverted and got a text shadow. And the whole animation was so fast that it didn't feel heavy but almost like an old school menu with no animation only somehow better. Same with checking and unchecking a check box or a radio button.

Still other than that I really like the new theme and everything else. The new filemanager with terminology is also good enough to replace dolphin for me. I do miss tabs a little, but it has the huge advantage of not making loud noises all the time when there is a dvd inserted. And it has the rightclick -> "open terminal here" feature which is a good enough replacement for a built in terminal.

Also I am more efficient with virtual desktops than on every other desktop environment. There are mainly two reasons for this:
                The alt+F4 thing annoys me since i am used to close windows this way. But yeah you can modify this.

If they improve the file manager (really important) and write a few native apps (not so important but nice to have) it will be great. I'd love to see native transmission, a native text editor (like gedit), music player, and native mozilla apps (FF,TB).

Also if raster gets the time to dedicate adding items from the TODO in terminology it will really be a great terminal.

Comment

you can also move it in the virtual desktop thingy with mouse only, by dragging its representation

im used to alt+F4 being close window
                  but ofc all keys are rebind able

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                    you can also move it in the virtual desktop thingy with mouse only, by dragging its representation
                    I know that, but I like my method more because it also moves you to the desktop where you put the window.(usually when I move a window I want to concentrate on it so moving with the window is what I want) And I also configured my panel so that it can go below windows.(e.g. when I use blender I don't want to see the panel)

A few years ago I was used to alt+F4 for closing as well, but maximum efficiency with virtual desktop became more important to me than a hotkey for closing windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X