Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD Now Has AMD Radeon KMS Graphics

Phoronix: OpenBSD Now Has AMD Radeon KMS Graphics

While OpenBSD lagged behind FreeBSD in getting the initial kernel mode-setting (KMS) graphics support mainlined, the BSD platform now has support for AMD Radeon graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad there isn't more cooperation between Linux and BSD and more code re-use.

Linux <3
    BSD <3
    Free software <3

Comment

There's a huge amount of code re-use, just not in the OS-specific bits.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        There's a huge amount of code re-use, just not in the OS-specific bits.
        I would like to see some more cross platform usage though.
        It would be nice if more BSD and Linux based OS's would use OpenRC since it supports both of those platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by tron_ston
          Sorry, but this is ridiculous. There is no illegitimate references that says that OpenBSD has Radeon KMS code. Only a crazy people (Archibald) claiming that OpenBSD has now AMD KMS in their source tree.

The only reference I can find for this is here in which there is nothing successful about Radeon KMS in OpenBSD only that it's development has stalled and there is no one to continue the work. Therefore, the conclusion is Radeon KMS is incomplete in OpenBSD and there is no one to finish it.

So no AMD KMS on OpenBSD.

Also, Nouveau drivers don't even exists in the minds of OpenBSD devs. That is nothing about that on google.com
          OpenBSD devs are simply too obsessed with trying to get NVidia blobs.
          LOL. You're a complete idiot.

Comment

There is no illegitimate references that says that OpenBSD has Radeon KMS code.

Comment

Settle down BSD zealot brad0, don't have to get mental about someone not praising BSD, which is your favor OS. Pathetic.

Ha ha, quote from this,

So OpenBSD needs proprietary firmware to get Radeon KMS. OpenBSD is so "FREE". Also BTW, this mailing list post doesn't prove that AMD KMS is working on OpenBSD, it just shows extra files being added related to attempting to bring AMD KMS to OpenBSD. For all that's known, it's probable that these are still just non-functioning fragments ripped of from Linux.
              You obviously dont understand the projects stance on firmware.

You're just proving my point the more you speak.

Comment

Oh I understand, OpenBSD happily excepts proprietary firmware files and excepts Richard Stallman to label them as a completely free OS. Hell no. I'm proud of Stallman's standing his ground at the OpenBSD mailing-list.
                Nice troll job.

Comment

I have a hard time with that logic. The Radeon firmware situation is the same over Linux as well. What shortcoming is the troll attempting to highlight?

Comment

Working...
                  X