Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source R500 Driver Can Compete With Legacy Catalyst

Phoronix: Open-Source R500 Driver Can Compete With Legacy Catalyst

The latest open-source Radeon Linux driver code for supporting the Radeon X1000 (R500) series hardware has basically reached a point of competitiveness with the legacy Catalyst Linux driver that once supported this hardware. In some cases the open-source Gallium3D driver is now faster than what Catalyst once ran at while in other select OpenGL workloads there is still a proprietary imbalance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the specificity

There's a lot of FUD around here from some posters (we know who they are) regarding the open source driver. It's nice that you separated R500 class chip/driver with benchmarks and showed how they are competitive with fglrx.(any work that may still need to be done on the driver in various areas notwithstanding)

I hope in the future you will do this the same way regarding the other classes of AMD chips as well. With the progression that has taken place in the OSS drivers, it's time that the wailing and teeth gnashing started cooling down; and the OSS/AMD/driver devs didn't constantly have to run around these forums and defend themselves so much anymore.
    Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 08 June 2012, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Let's hope Q now sees the good results of the radeon driver as well instead of focusing on the bad things that Bridgman and his team do in his opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
        Let's hope Q now sees the good results of the radeon driver as well instead of focusing on the bad things that Bridgman and his team do in his opinion.
        He already does. Bashing me is more of a hobby.

Deep down I think he realizes he's just "shooting the messenger" but even so it *is* a time-honored tradition.
        Last edited by bridgman; 08 June 2012, 08:30 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Looks nice (does this mean they are now going to focus on just bug fixing and r600?), but what about power managment, and 2d acceleration? those things are a must for claiming they can compete.

Comment

Hey, where are the Unigine tests ;-) Too much for fglrx to handle it?
            Also don't forget about dozens of new extensions available with the r300g driver, not present with fglrx.
            BTW I wonder how many people except me are still using this old hardware for work and gaming.

On the other side the title is a little bit misleading, the driver is called r300g (small "r"), hardware generation is called R500 (there are also few of those typos in the article), so in the title you probably wanted to say something like "Open-Source r300g Driver Can Compete With Legacy Catalyst with R500 class hardware", however from journalists POV you title has a better sound.

Also it's pity this wasn't the latest fglrx with support for R300-R500 class hardware available :-( .

Nice article nevertheless.

Comment

Please, fix Hi-Z and enable it by default
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Let's start to make things clear:

We don't need benchmarks of games that are crap under all aspects, starting from the graphics.

Comment

maybe chart for OSS drivers are longer, but 5-8 fps.. wtf??

Comment

Try to play full screen flash video in KMS mode (X1400 on T60 running Ubuntu 12.04) and listen a sound.
                    There is a two year old KMS bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/879790

Comment

Working...
                    X