Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-intel 2.7.1 Released With Crash Fixes

Phoronix: xf86-video-intel 2.7.1 Released With Crash Fixes

The focus of Intel's X.Org driver developers is on getting ready the xf86-video-intel 2.8 driver for this quarter's update that will remove the EXA acceleration architecture in favor of UXA acceleration and it completely strips away the DRI1 support. The Intel X.Org team released the xf86-video-intel 2.7.0 driver nearly a month ago, but they have cherry-picked a few fixes from their current development efforts to provide a 2.7.1 release. The xf86-video-intel 2.7.1 driver hooks up RandR properties support under a KMS-enabled environment and also five other bug fixes that hopefully will fix a few crashes and other problems that have come about...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if it fixes this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/359392 Please oh please...

Comment

Originally posted by jblackhall View Post
      I wonder if it fixes this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/359392 Please oh please...
      Did you try manually specifying the virtual screen size as the bug report suggested.

Comment

I'm not getting this whole "performance regression" thing. Even under 2.6.28, I could play $GAME_I_FORGOT with real-time lighting, specular mapping, and bump mapping at a decent framerate at 1440x900 inside Compiz (without fullscreen unredirected).

Comment

Does anyone know how Intel solved the potential patent problems and IP issues with open sourcing their GPU drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            Did you try manually specifying the virtual screen size as the bug report suggested.
            Not yet. I prefer to use Ubuntu as a "regular user" would, so I'm waiting for the official release from Canonical that will do it for me. Either way, that's not really a fix. It's a workaround that makes the crashes less frequent. I'm wondering if this will actually fix the crashes.

Comment

2.7.1 seems to have made my eee701 unusable. Last line in the log is the one beginning with "RandR 1.2 enabled", then it just locks up with a black screen. Anyone else having the same problem?

Looking at the kernel log it's crashing in intel_tv_set_property, which is odd since there's no TV-out on this thing... Maybe I need to tell it that. (Edit: nope, that didn't help.)

(Edit 2: Someone else has the same problem. Time to compile another kernel *sigh*)
              Last edited by Ant P.; 15 May 2009, 03:43 PM.

Comment

With my [email protected] and G33 (and kernel 2.6.29), I can play The Matrix@1080p perfectly smoothly with VLC, without using complex instructions in a console (which were mandatory up to now, and I could only use mplayer that way...so I could not pause a video, only abort it).
                I can also now play Torcs smoothly at 1280*1024 on some circuits that were unplayable until now. A year ago no circuit was playable even at 800*600.
                Intel and Xorg programmers (and the VLC ones too) are really doing a fine job!
                Last edited by DebianAroundParis; 27 May 2009, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X