Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer / Linux Compatibility ?

Hi,

Could you give me your opinion about this configuration for a new computer ? Would it be all right (mobo's concerns) ? Does anybody have any experience with this Asus mobo ?

Asus P5N-E SLI
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
    G.Skill kit extreme2 2x 1Go PC 6400 PK
    Seagated Barracuda 7200.10 SATA - 80Go - 8Mo x 3 (RAID 5)
    Antec Sonata II
    Asus EN7600GS SILENT/HTD 256Mo
    Acer AL2216W sD

Thanks,

I've used motherboards similar to the P5N-E SLI. It should work fine. The rest of the hardware looks good as well.

Welcome to the forums.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks Michael,

I was asking myself about the mobo...
      I've read here :
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and there :

There seems to have some issue with ACPI / APIC thus SMP function of this motherboard. Don't know the final words on this. Does anybody have more information about SMP working on this mobo ?

Regards,

Comment

I can try out a similar board with Ubuntu 7.04 and Fedora 7 to see how it works -- it shouldn't be too problematic.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

He Michael,

If I could "try before buy", I'd do ASAP ;-)
          We're a brandly new created french association to promote "Open Source Software" in SME's environment... Though, money and good investment are crucial for us ;-).

I daren't ask you to test this mobo but more, How can you propose things like that ? Are you a vendor or do you have thousands of mobos sleeping behind your wardrobe :-) ?

Regards,

Comment

thinapps,

I am the founder and executive editor of Phoronix. One of the (many) benefits is that I have access to a great deal of hardware -- while I don't have hundreds of boards on hand right now as the older motherboards have since been retired, there are quite a bit.

I talked with ASUS earlier and they are sending out a Asus P5N-E SLI to Phoronix right away. Hopefully I'll have the board by the end of this week.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              thinapps,

I am the founder and executive editor of Phoronix. One of the (many) benefits is that I have access to a great deal of hardware -- while I don't have hundreds of boards on hand right now as the older motherboards have since been retired, there are quite a bit.

I talked with ASUS earlier and they are sending out a Asus P5N-E SLI to Phoronix right away. Hopefully I'll have the board by the end of this week.
              Alleluhia !! :-)
              You know, that's really the "Internet" surrealism. Look, I turned around with my associate to find out WHICH mobo could be right for us (web development + pvm multi thread development). And I posted here (thanks to Ubuntu's forum advices on hardware compatibility) to know if my idea was right or not...
              I find THE person with one of the (MANY ;-)) benefits is that to have the ability to test my idea. Well, What else to prove Internet is really a new kind of Society.
              If you can test this motherboard with ubuntu 7.04 (note release is for tomorrow :-) ) I'll be glad to create a new wiki page + HCL (Harwre compatibility page) for it.

Regards,

Pierre

Comment

I hope to test it with Feisty Fawn this weekend. The new Phoronix site is premiering Friday so I will be busy with that, but hope to have the time to quickly try it out over the weekend.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Thanks Michael,

We'll wait a few days before buy till you can test it out with brand new Ubuntu 7.04.
                  'The new Phoronix site is premiering' and 'Ubuntu 7.04 will be released tomorrow', take it easy to try it out. We'll wait for your review. Thank you very much.

Regards,

Pierre

Comment

Yeah, and see if the intel hda audio driver works with the latest and greatest ALSA driver, pls. The default alsa in Debian doesn't work; had to use alsa-source from Lenny.

Comment

Working...
                    X