Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Studio Is Working On A Unigine-Based Game

Phoronix: Another Studio Is Working On A Unigine-Based Game

Unigine Corp announced yesterday they have a new licensee for their Unigine Engine. The latest game studio to license this visually impressive multi-platform game engine -- with first-rate Linux support -- is BlueGiant Interactive. BlueGiant is developing a real-time strategy game using the Unigine Engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! Looks very good! Then GoGoGo Mesa. I want to play that games with your drivers! We need minimum OpenGL3 and tons of performance improvements!

But I think that Mesa is on a good way to it.

The most important thing we need at the moment is GLSL 1.3. Is someone even working on it? Any branch open for it or any patches to test? Really wanna have it!

Greetungs

Wubbbi

Comment

For unigine - you are going to be happier with OpenGL 4+

Comment

In Unigine the s3tc patent could be worked around (by using uncompressed textures) this would however increase the amount of memory required dramatically and limit the size of game you could make.
        Some Unigine features (most notably HDR lighting) rely quite heavily on floating point textures. You could possibly work around these limitations.
        Other Unigine features rely on OpenGL4 (or extensions) though there is a OpenGL ES version for portable devices.

Comment

Hopefully there will be a Linux client for this forthcoming Unigine-based RTS, which shouldn't be much of a problem considering the full Linux compatibility with Unigine.
          I call trolling, again, on Phoronix, and with good reason.

Blizzard has a long history of making games for both *nix (Mac) and Wintel OSes, yet they don't release games for Linux.

In Blizzard's case it's even stupider because they make ALL of the binaries needed for *nix systems, not just the engine. For whatever reasons they are being stupid and doing that, that is reality.

So, just because some game maker uses an engine that is compatible with *nix systems in no way shape or form means it will be on all the systems it is compatible with.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            in my point of view mesa the main version can't support openGL3...

they only can support a mesa3.0

because of software patents like the floating point HDR graphic patent.
            another important one is the s3tc patent...
            in the patent law in Germany the floating point hdr patent isn't valid but the s3tc one is.
            in the US law both are valid.

the Linux people should better go for Open Cl and a ray-tracing game engine.
            S3TC is not a requirement for any version of OpenGL, it's simply an optional extension that many apps decided to require.

--enable-floating-point is the only bit that will be required for GL3, and I don't believe there is anything in GL4 that would be a problem either.

Comment

Originally posted by Wubbbi View Post
              The most important thing we need at the moment is GLSL 1.3. Is someone even working on it? Any branch open for it or any patches to test? Really wanna have it!
              There's definitely work going on. This week there's been several patches fixing native integer support, which is one of the major changes. I know there has previously been patches for switch statements, although i'm not sure it was ever committed.

I'm actually not sure what exactly is still left to do. I think if you look through some of the TODO files you can find 1 or 2 things listed, but it would be nice if a Mesa dev could make a full list of exactly what needs to happen and approximately how much work it will take to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                in my point of view mesa the main version can't support openGL3...

they only can support a mesa3.0

because of software patents like the floating point HDR graphic patent.
                another important one is the s3tc patent...
                in the patent law in Germany the floating point hdr patent isn't valid but the s3tc one is.
                in the US law both are valid.

the Linux people should better go for Open Cl and a ray-tracing game engine.

Even if so, I dont care about patents. I have --enable-texture-floating enabled and the s3tc installed. All is working on my machine. I really dont care about that patents. And yes ... I live in Germany. BND come to me and kill me!!!!

Greetings

Wubbbi
                Last edited by Wubbbi; 01 September 2011, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                  I call trolling, again, on Phoronix, and with good reason.

Blizzard has a long history of making games for both *nix (Mac) and Wintel OSes, yet they don't release games for Linux.

In Blizzard's case it's even stupider because they make ALL of the binaries needed for *nix systems, not just the engine. For whatever reasons they are being stupid and doing that, that is reality.

So, just because some game maker uses an engine that is compatible with *nix systems in no way shape or form means it will be on all the systems it is compatible with.
                  yup just more trolling from Phoronix but temping us with linux...
                  This site has literally plummeted in usefulness to just hardware and xorg stuff

Comment

With no actual mention of Linux for that game, it does make me wonder.

I personally would like an update on this Unigine game with the included link back to phoronix.

Comment

Working...
                    X