Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egosoft Gets To Releasing Their Games On Linux

Phoronix: Egosoft Gets To Releasing Their Games On Linux

Back in November, Egosoft expressed interest in bringing their games to Linux over Steam, and now this effort is becoming a reality. X3 Reunion is in beta under their in-house porting efforts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't understand. Χ3-Reunion has been already ported by LGP and now is being ported once again by Egosoft?

Comment

Their LGP versions are practically unusable on modern distros. Will they sell their new builds outside Steam? It's going to be really annoying if all these new ports will be distributed only through DRMed channels.
      Last edited by shmerl; 28 January 2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Unusable? Why?

Comment

Probably built for older systems. Last time I tried - it didn't work. Example:

I can give it a try again, since Debian testing already switched to multiarch proper and it could be some x86_64 / i386 issue.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Their LGP versions are practically unusable on modern distros. Will they sell their new builds outside Steam? It's going to be really annoying if all these new ports will be distributed only through DRMed channels.
            Steam don't enforce DRM usage.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
              Steam don't enforce DRM usage.
              Can you get the installer for the game and install it without connecting to Steam? And then run it without running Steam client? If so - then indeed it doesn't enforce DRM. But I was under the impression that above is impossible. For example Desura offers their client as a convenient way to get updates, but you can always get the standalone installer if you need to.

Comment

As an owner of X2 and X3 in steam i'm very happy.

Comment

So how do you get access to the beta? Is it just a case of already owning a copy on Steam?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Can you get the installer for the game and install it without connecting to Steam? And then run it without running Steam client? If so - then indeed it doesn't enforce DRM. But I was under the impression that above is impossible.
                    Steam is only always requred for the initial download.

Comment

Working...
                    X