Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 7.11 Is Set To Hit In July With Many Goodies

Phoronix: Mesa 7.11 Is Set To Hit In July With Many Goodies

Finally, Mesa 7.11 is set to be released in early July. Ian Romanick of Intel has laid out plans to do a Mesa 7.10.3 point release in two weeks and then to release the proper Mesa 7.11 release in 7/11 (July of 2011)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All I want is for my laptop to not turn into molten plastic when I use the drivers. How about getting that fixed and then working on other things. Cus I'm not really interested in OpenGL 3.0 or other such things.

Comment

Originally posted by MiUNX View Post
      All I want is for my laptop to not turn into molten plastic when I use the drivers. How about getting that fixed and then working on other things. Cus I'm not really interested in OpenGL 3.0 or other such things.
      Code:
      echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
      There you go

No on to the fun stuff :P

Comment

We need dynpm to be working properly and being the default.

Unfortunately Alex seems to have no time for that anymore and nobody else has taken up the quest so far.

Until this happens the safest bet is to use the default state and require the user to put it to low profile. I do this ever time I start up my machine, so I would very much appreciate a script for this.

Anyhow, I hope this answers your questions, Q.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Dwarf View Post
          Code:
          echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
          There you go

No on to the fun stuff :P
          First you need:

Code:
          echo profile > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
          Or you can try dynpm instead of profile.

Comment

The default isn't high, its whatever is programmed into the particular card you have. If YOUR CARD has a default of high, then that is what will be used. If YOUR CARD has a default of LOW, then THAT is what will be used.

*** this is the correct behavior.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            sorry i do not ask a question. LOW should be the default because high mode just hurt on active cooled cards on noise and hurt notebook people on battery life and noise to!

i'm up to 100% Desktop user and i tell you this LOW should be the standard! not high!

if some people wana more speed tune there systems up well they can put the high profile on.

Comment

Default should be LOW. Because, unless you want full frequency straight, which may come if you run straight opengl, without any (composite) desktop - a 0,1% case, it will waste your card and electricity. The card should dynclock with default startup always LOW.
              My old 9800gt card used to run exactly as you specify, means vacuum cleaner - from start of pc till xorg with blob loads. For no point ever.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                Default should be LOW. Because, unless you want full frequency straight, which may come if you run straight opengl, without any (composite) desktop - a 0,1% case, it will waste your card and electricity. The card should dynclock with default startup always LOW.
                My old 9800gt card used to run exactly as you specify, means vacuum cleaner - from start of pc till xorg with blob loads. For no point ever.
                You completely missed the point. YES the default should *sometimes* be low... other times NOT -- IGP may be better off with the default set to HIGH.

In any case, the default is UP TO THE CARD VENDOR. The driver has NO PLACE setting the default. The driver READS the default (for whatever card there happens to be, sometimes it may be low, other times high), and sets it TO THAT.

Comment

Back on topic, for anyone who cares, Ian's announcement means that I have to make a decision about what to do with my GLSL to TGSI translator branch.

Right now, the main branch for the translator (called glsl-130) is stable, but in terms of performance, features, and generated code quality, it doesn't have any significant advantages (or disadvantages) over the GLSL->Mesa->TGSI path. What I'm working on now is a WIP branch called glsl-130-wip-integers, which supports native integers but will only work on softpipe until I finish making it compatible with drivers without support for integer opcodes.

So the announcement that the 7.11 feature freeze will be June 24 means that the GLSL to TGSI translator (and the associated changes to Mesa and st/mesa) will probably have to wait for 7.12 in January before making it into a stable release. It doesn't bring much benefit without GLSL 1.30 enabled, and I don't feel like rushing to finish it.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought I should give a status update.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    and you still don't understand my words. i don't argue about what is the default i tell you what should be the standard.

i'm sick of the catalyst i reinstall today because the catalyst 11.5 break my system without any clue(maybe normal updates in dist-upgrade) so i need to reinstall the system to get back a graphic desktop and not only a shell (init 3 mode).

and the only shit that makes the radeon unusable on non passive cooled cards are the power management my hd5670 single slot card makes me ill with the noise.

ok maybe i just should buy an passive cooled card. but if you have an notebook you can't and your battery life sucked away.

amd should put a little box to every card they sell with letters on the box like this "if you use linux open this box" and after opening the box there are 2 other boxes with more letters : one of the box : "if you use catalyst here is a painkiller for your headache " and the other box : "if you use the radeon driver here are some ear protectors "
                    We're going to have to disagree. Sure, low by default would work out good for YOU. Not for ME. The default should by dynamic, and until that works it should just be the hardware default. Nothing else makes sense. It would be nice if KDE/Gnome included some little utilities to allow you to set this while dynamic pm is a WIP, though, and it could save the last value you set. I just don't see that as being part of the driver, it's a separate utility that someone just has to write. It would be really easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X