Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.32 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.32 Kernel Released

Just as planned, Linux 2.6.32-rc8 was the last test release and the final Linux 2.6.32 kernel is now available as of last night. The Linux 2.6.32 kernel brings improvements to the Btrfs file-system, ATI R600/700 KMS + 3D support, Intel DRM improvements (improved power management), other DRM changes, VGA Arbitration, virtualization improvements, and much more. The Linux 2.6.32 kernel release announcement can be found at LKML.org while an extensive list of 2.6.32 changes can be found at KernelNewbies.org. We have already published Linux 2.6.32 kernel benchmarks (with special interest towards the EXT4 performance drop). The Linux 2.6.33 kernel merge window will soon open and a good number of changes will be pushed into the next kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so it does support R600 3D huh?

For Ubuntu does it mean I just use x-swat ppa and 2.6.32 kernel and I will get 3D acceleration for R600?

Comment

Um................ I think if you just upgrade your kernel, all RadeonHD 2000/3000/4000 chipsets will get OpenGL acceleration. Kernel 2.6.32 comes with all the necessary DRM modules.

But I could be wrong.

Comment

Reading the KernelNewbies page for the new kernel, there's an interesting piece I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else:

Originally posted by KernelNewbies
        1.8. Easy local kernel configuration
        Most people uses the kernel shipped by distros - and that's good. But some people like to compile their own kernels from kernel.org, or maybe they like following the Linux development and want to try it. Configuring your own kernel, however, has become a very difficult and tedious task - there're too many options, and some times userspace software will stop working if you don't enable some key option. You can use a standard distro .config file, but it takes too many time to compile all the options it enables.
        To make easier the process of configuration, a new build target has been added: make localmodconfig. It runs "lsmod" to find all the modules loaded on the current running system. It will read all the Makefiles to map which CONFIG enables a module. It will read the Kconfig files to find the dependencies and selects that may be needed to support a CONFIG. Finally, it reads the .config file and removes any module "=m" that is not needed to enable the currently loaded modules. With this tool, you can strip a distro .config of all the unuseful drivers that are not needed in our machine, and it will take much less time to build the kernel. There's an additional "make localyesconfig" target, in case you don't want to use modules and/or initrds.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkfire Fox View Post
          Um................ I think if you just upgrade your kernel, all RadeonHD 2000/3000/4000 chipsets will get OpenGL acceleration. Kernel 2.6.32 comes with all the necessary DRM modules.

But I could be wrong.
          As long as Mesa is 7.6 final or newer (newer is usually better though) and radeon/radeonhd is reasonably recent it should all work.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            so it does support R600 3D huh?

For Ubuntu does it mean I just use x-swat ppa and 2.6.32 kernel and I will get 3D acceleration for R600?

HD4850, Karmic, 2.6.32, xorg-edgers:

Code:
            AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/r600_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/r600_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
            Must be doing something wrong, or I need something extra done first.

Edit:
            Never mind. It does work. I don't know why the ppa didn't give me all the mesa updates at first, but now I'm enjoying 3D accel. on my card .
            Last edited by Melcar; 04 December 2009, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X