Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment E18 Alpha Release Is Imminent

Phoronix: Enlightenment E18 Alpha Release Is Imminent

E18 has been in development for nearly one year since the long-awaited Enlightenment E17 release last December. Now it appears that the alpha release of E18 is about ready...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Enlightenment E18 Alpha Release Is Imminent

E18 has been in development for nearly one year since the long-awaited Enlightenment E17 release last December. Now it appears that the alpha release of E18 is about ready...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwMzY
    EFL is about to hit alpha.

E18 is not far away but i don't think anyone knows the date for it yet. Even for an alpha. And it is still missing some really basic stuff that probably won't go in it either.

Comment

Glad to see E18 wasn't another E17

In all seriousness though, congratulations to the Enlightenment developers. I'm a KDE fan, but Enlightenment always had a place in my heart
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Glad to see E18 wasn't another E17

In all seriousness though, congratulations to the Enlightenment developers. I'm a KDE fan, but Enlightenment always had a place in my heart
        hehe
        people forget it is enlightenment version 0.17, not E version 17

e18 is nice but it forces compositing, so il stick to e17 until things around wayland settle down

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
          e18 is nice but it forces compositing, so il stick to e17 until things around wayland settle down
          If you have a problem with forced compositing, then Wayland is not for you at all, since it assumes compositing, AFAIR.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
            hehe
            people forget it is enlightenment version 0.17, not E version 17

They said that e19 (that can use pure wayland) will take less time but knowing E devs this might mean 40 years

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
              If you have a problem with forced compositing, then Wayland is not for you at all, since it assumes compositing, AFAIR.
              As far as I remember... Full screen apps can request not to be double buffered (bypass compositing). But normal usage does require compositing just to help ensure no tearing and no stuttering
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                As far as I remember... Full screen apps can request not to be double buffered (bypass compositing). But normal usage does require compositing just to help ensure no tearing and no stuttering
                Of course, full screen apps get to bypass compositing (well, it depends on the compositor implementing it, AFAIK). I thought you were referring to the desktop using composition, not that it keeps compositing when running full screen apps.

EDIT: Anyway, it was not you before. I'm really distracted.

Comment

Interesting news but ...

I am still waiting to hear wtf Project Burrito was or is.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                    compositing under X requires copying things around in memory, so it's cpu consuming and makes delays

compositing under wayland from what i understand is done direct thru DRI
                    so it should be really fast, maybe even faster then no compositing under X (as X does final drawing on the cpu)

i'l turn off the bling anyway as a personal preference

@ Ericg

wayland is different in that its clients always render directly (over DRI)
                    the real task of "compositing" is done by gpu drivers, wayland compositor just tells them where to put things

under X e18 fullscreen uses DRI
                    just like other compositing DE's

i also thought wayland will be bad 'cuz todays compositing is bad

Comment

Working...
                    X