Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Posts X.Org, Driver Patches For XMir

Phoronix: Canonical Posts X.Org, Driver Patches For XMir

Canonical last week posted 15 patches so Mesa could support their Mir Display Server and specifically the Mir EGL platform. Those patches haven't received many comments from upstream Mesa developers, but there were more than 200 comments in our forums. Over the night, Canonical has posted X.Org Server patches for supporting XMir plus the open-source driver patches so it can handle XMir with nested compositing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Send out your "skeleton" patches then Blame upstream when you Shit Breaks?

Comment

Hope the patches get rejected by the Xorg team.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
        i can tell you Love Canonical

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
          X.org team?

You mean Mesa team, X.org team, and then each FLOSS drivers teams?

Mesa patches did not recived input as of now.

But both X.org and FLOSS drivers teams (minux Nouveau, but those where sent only recently) replaied with some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. And why sholdn't they? Mir is another possible back end for Xorg. FLOSS drivers also do not mind adding another supported platform. Mesa is OS agnostic really (though main effort is Linux)..

There is also some possible coop effort with Wayland crew on supporting code in all those projects. (Though Christopher Rogers who is behind all that code, stated that shared code will most probably include only minor issues).
          Last edited by przemoli; 22 July 2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
            Send out your "skeleton" patches then Blame upstream when you Shit Breaks?
            Yawn
            trolls will be trolls

This is missing too much functionality to be usefully appiled, but the
            skeleton is here and the APIs it relies on are sufficiently stable. Sending
            to the list for extra visibility and for preliminary comments.

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
              Yawn
              trolls will be trolls

This is missing too much functionality to be usefully appiled, but the
              skeleton is here and the APIs it relies on are sufficiently stable. Sending
              to the list for extra visibility and for preliminary comments.
              i don't get how they're saying any thing is "stable" when it's not even Developed....

Comment

What's the political landscape with Xorg with regards to Mir? Who decides whether these patches are accepted upstream? And are they likely to accept them?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  What's the political landscape with Xorg with regards to Mir? Who decides whether these patches are accepted upstream? And are they likely to accept them?
                  Why shouldn't they? They accepted patches for Wayland so the only excuse for not accepting this (when they are fully done and polished) would be that they are dickheads but I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    Let me put it this way...theres a lot of back and forth between the Wayland and X teams-- mostly because a lot, if not all, Wayland developers used to be X developers. So lets say you're being pulled between two projects, are you going to back your friends...or the new kid on the block that is throwing a temper tantrum because no one wants to play with him, because of previous temper tantrums?
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X