Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When selling Linux software, does it have to be free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When selling Linux software, does it have to be free?

I'm a Mac & Windows software developer, and am interested in porting some of my programs to Linux. But, it seems like almost all programs I come across are open source/free. I know there are some closed-source apps out there, but even though they're closed, most look to be free as well.

The trend seems to be (from what I observed anyways) most Linux software is free, but people pay for the support - like Redhat (again, I think this is how it works). I'm looking to go the normal sales route, where I sell the actual application itself and of course some support comes with it, but that's not the main cost of the app - the program is.

Is this "allowed" in the Linux world? Or is this taboo. Are Linux users not used to/willing to pay for software? It'd be a niche product, so it would fill a need, but again, maybe users aren't going to pay for it - and I have to look at it from a business perspective. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

There are some enterprise applications that are closed-source and have you to purchase the application as well as some games like those from id Software, Epic Games, and LGP Publishing though a vast majority of the Linux software is free software.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Unless your software is stellar, no one is going to buy it. But then if it's good enough, someone will eventually make a free version of it.

Your only hope is with quality games. Tough luck, no?

Comment

Xipeos, I've heard that Nero LINUX is selling not too bad.

#edit: Oh, and there's KDE. Gnome users, forgive me

Comment

Working...
        X