Bit Torrent please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit Torrent please.

Holy ...shaving cream! Look at the size of that file!

I'm trying to run the test suite from the X4500 IGP article, and how many GB of download is this? The 271 MB file chocked and timed out six times, at least. It took over 90 minutes alone.

It'd be great to have a bit torrent option on our downloads from Phoronix. I don't really care how long it takes. I just like the community element of Bit Torrent. You could do an RSS video feed every now and then, too.

And I wish you'd consider that contribution share ratio idea. How does the community decide what to contribute if we have no idea what the operating costs are? Communication is fundamental to community, and communication involves listening as well as speaking, Micheal. For all I know, you're swimming in cash.

Thanks all!

Live responsibly and please don't drink and breathe.

Originally posted by WSmart View Post

I'm trying to run the test suite from the X4500 IGP article, and how many GB of download is this? The 271 MB file chocked and timed out six times, at least. It took over 90 minutes alone.

It'd be great to have a bit torrent option on our downloads from Phoronix. I don't really care how long it takes. I just like the community element of Bit Torrent. You could do an RSS video feed every now and then, too.

And I wish you'd consider that contribution share ratio idea. How does the community decide what to contribute if we have no idea what the operating costs are? Communication is fundamental to community, and communication involves listening as well as speaking, Micheal. For all I know, you're swimming in cash.

Thanks all!

Live responsibly and please don't drink and breathe.

Considering how rapid PTS is being developed bittorrent at this time would not make a great choice for distribution. PTS itself is a very small download (~250k). Bandwidth wise it is also a heck of a lot cheaper doing it the present way. One full seed for a torrent with supporting apps would use as much bandwidth for Michael as if PTS was downloaded thousands of times as the supporting libraries and apps are presently downloaded from their original source.

Comment

It'd be great to have a bit torrent option on our downloads from Phoronix. I don't really care how long it takes. I just like the community element of Bit Torrent.
      You or anyone else is more than welcome to make one.

I can tell you that's certainly not the case. I wouldn't be doing 80~100 hour work weeks if Phoronix was swimming in cash. The fact of the matter is that it isn't. Advertising towards the Linux desktop enthusiast market really isn't great right now... Just look at the amount of staff, or there the lack of, to figure that out. Not to mention Phoronix Test Suite itself has yet to generate any money but so far it's down at least $2k USD in direct costs and that's not counting the many hours I've been working on it without a return yet.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

With Phoronix Test Suite 1.2.0 Beta 1, it will say right at the beginning the estimated total download size.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
        X