Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.1, Weston 1.1 Pack Lots Of New Features

Phoronix: Wayland 1.1, Weston 1.1 Pack Lots Of New Features

Version 1.1 of Wayland and the Weston reference compositor will soon be released. The first major post-1.0 updates to Wayland/Weston bring a number of exciting features to this next-generation Linux display server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Minimize windows

Yeah, but what about minimize windows?
    What about mouse acceleration?

What about XWayland integration in X.org Server?
    The Wayland backend in GTK 3.6 didn't seem perfect when I tried it or something, has it been improved?

Comment

... and what about MS Office on Wayland/Weston?
      Last time I tried it there were some problems, I hope it has been improved.

Comment

Is the new pointer lock feature implemented in Wayland 1.1?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Yeah, but what about minimize windows?
          I think that with the mess with smoreau on this topic could delay the feature..
          Too bad!

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          What about mouse acceleration?
          I remember seeing someone sending a patch for this.

Comment

Not sure where else to ask, but does anyone know more about embedding IBus usage in a full-screen non-composited app, like a game?

I'm currently doing Windows IME integration. The industry has seen some Freemium games (which with their always-online in-game sales approach are essentially agnostic to client piracy) make _massive_ sales by targetting non-Western-European markets so it's important to to ensure any engine or in-game UI toolkit has full IME support for those markets. It's important not just for making things work with compositors but also because we want any in-game UI to be themed and otherwise "in-place" with the rest of the custom game UI controls in chat and such. The Windows API does a relatively poor job abstracting certain bits, meaning a game's IME support is generally not as good as the standard UI no matter how hard the game UI coder tries, especially since every IME module behaves and looks just slightly differently. Key bits are to be able to enable the IME backend, supply composition text, getting information about which bits of the composition are currently being modied, what the candidates are, and querying and setting the current language (which selects IME backend). The nice thing is that the IME interface can be used for on-screen keyboards as well as system IME, making the development of game UI a bit easier when on mobile (no need for two totally different interfaces for each case). In short, it works, but Linux could do better.

If I can do that on Window and OS X, but not Linux, that would be (yet another) reason to just skip Linux support. I'm seeing IBus is all LGPL code, which isn't a problem so long as it can be embedded via dynamic linking and if I can just write my own in-app UI (like I do on other platforms) that interacts with the backend for composition and providing candidate lists and the like. My reading of the IBus docs left me more confused than anything, and I can't find examples of anyone else integrating it with a full game-engine like Microsoft sort-of provides for Windows IME and DirectX. I'd like to think it's possible and I'm just not seeing the piece of the API that makes it so. I'd also not be surprised if nobody in the Linux input stack ever applied 5 minutes to thinking about this particular use case and providing a solution, given how relatively rare it is.

I note that toolkits like Scaleform support Windows IME but nothing similar on Linux that I can tell, which leads me to believe that it's not feasible (or maybe just not a huge request from companies doing Linux ports; everyone worrying about IME maybe is only targetting the most common gaming platform in those countries: pirated XP).

Comment

Working...
            X